Mysore


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka
March 13th 2012
Published: March 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

MahishasuraMahishasuraMahishasura

That's me in front. Demons are silly, not dangerous.
Mysore is a beautiful clean city—lots of gardens. It is the home of sandalwood perfume. Enjoy the pictures!

We learned a little about Hinduism. Three levels: Gods—but there are many and you get to choose the one you like, example, God of trees or rain, or whatever. Second come humans who can choose to be good or bad—issue of karma comes into this. Third group are demons. Demons aren’t bad—they are just silly. More powerful than humans because they can change their shape and appearance.



A little more on cows. Cows are sacred in their importance. In the old days, when a dispute was settled, a cow was offered as a gift. Cows provide milk, value as a farm animal, their dung is insulation, their urine is a cleaning agent. As well, their urine is still valued in making medicines—as it has been for 3-4,000 years. A cow is not eaten—it must be cremated. It is bad luck to have a cow die on you (plus you have to pay for the cremation), so many people turn them loose. That is why there are street cows everywhere—even walking down the middle of busy highways.

By the
NandiNandiNandi

Cows are associated with Hinduism. This one is third biggest in India.
way, the language spoken in this region is Kannada—pronounced just the way you would think.

A note about security around here. We go through scanners everywhere—monuments, public buildings and even our hotels. Often, we go through a scanner, our bags so through a scanner and then we get “wanded” and/or patted down. Women go through a separate scanner and female attendants frisk us behind a closed curtain. Takes a long time.

The British gave India a postal system and an educational system, but they also left them with a crazy bureaucracy. I learned that when I got my Indian visa in Ottawa—that was just frustrating! One incident here was at a high end hotel in Jaipur. This was the day I got up at 3:15 am to catch a 6 am flight to southern India. I handed in my room key and was handed a customer service questionnaire. It was a full page of fine print that appeared to cover every detail of the last few days. I wasn’t in the best mood, and really wanted a coffee. I pushed it back and said, “no, everything was just fine.” They asked me to just put my name and
Street CowsStreet CowsStreet Cows

But then there are street cows like this one. They are everywhere, cars just swerve around them.
room number. I scribbled that and handed it back. They said that I had to fill it out. I said that I didn’t have my reading glasses—I really wanted that cup of coffee and remember, it is four o’clock in the morning. They suggested that I just check off everything in the “excellent” column. I took the form and when they weren’t looking, I hid it under a plant. Even the street cows don’t have this hassle.



Namaste!

Donna


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

FlowersFlowers
Flowers

Flowers are an important part of Indian culture. Weddings, birthdays, parties. Marigolds are the favourites for taking to temples.
SecuritySecurity
Security

This was at Taj Mahal. High value only means that as tourists, we paid full price. Indians get a discount. The young woman read my name tag and said, "hello, Miss Donna" as she ran her hands all over me!
TempleTemple
Temple

This temple to Lord Krishna was built in 1269.
TempleTemple
Temple

This type of detail was inside as well as outside. Imagine--after 750 years!
Temple offeringTemple offering
Temple offering

Our guide bought this coconut and flower arrangement for about 60 cents. He asked me to represent the group as a temple offering!
Temple offeringTemple offering
Temple offering

The coconuts in the arrangement are broken and handed back. Our guide gave the arrangement back to the vendor for re-sale.
Mysore PalaceMysore Palace
Mysore Palace

This was an amazing complex. Finished in 1912. First one burned down when a fire broke out during the Princess's wedding reception. Bet it put a damper on the festivities!
Mysore PalaceMysore Palace
Mysore Palace

They were determined that another fire would not destroy their home, so not one bit of wood was used in the construction.
ExtremesExtremes
Extremes

This ox cart passes in front of Mysore Palace. There were no photos allowed inside, but it was way over the top. We saw this seat that goes on top of an elephant--the kind that royalty sits on--it was clad in 80 kilos, about 200 pounds, of gold!


14th March 2012

Mysore
Is this site, really a site for sore eyes?
16th March 2012

Awesome!!!
So interesting Donna! You are having a great time! Can hardly wait to hear all about it when you get back.
17th March 2012

Great photos...
Looks like you're having a wonderful introduction to India. I'd love to see it one day. I'll have to remember the "under the plant" trick. Cheers!

Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb