Western Ghats / Mudamali NP


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka
September 14th 2007
Published: September 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

steam train on blue mountain railwaysteam train on blue mountain railwaysteam train on blue mountain railway

the steam engine is at the back!
into our next state now...Karnataka! took us 5 hours on the blue mountain express (2nd most scenic railway in india!) by steam train to reach the lovely town of Ooty, 2,600m ASL. its surrounded by lush mountains and the air is fresh - nice break from the humidity! and there are carrots growing! we havent seen carrots in india yet its weird! spent a couple of days chilling and taking in the mountain scenery. we took a 3 hour hack on horseback through the rolling hills and through eucalyptus forests, which was amazing! have suffered saddle sore ever since tho! as its a bit colder here (still hotter than uk) the indians arnt used to it so as well as still wearing their traditional sarees, they have an additional bobble hat to keep them warm. they look funny hehe!

after a couple days in the hills we took a dodgy bus ride down windy roads on the side of a mountain to mudamali national park and treat ourselves and stayed in the luxury jungle retreat! we booked on an elephant ride and it was scorching hot all day but when it came to our ride the heavens opened and it had to be cancelled 😞 apparently elephants slip over in the rain! but we did get to wash one called Ana in the river which was wicked! then we saw them at feeding time at the sancturay. after our encounter with the tame ele's we went on a night safari to hunt down wild ones and we saw loads! and lots of spotted deer and buffalo. our guide caught scent of a tiger but didnt see one unfortuantely!
the next morning we got a 5am wake up call - yawn - to go on a jungle trek to find elephants on foot. we found footprints and fresh dung but no ele's were to be seen. we did come across more deer and monkeys and birds - and our first and only sunrise!

gonna keep it short and sweet cos becks in bed with a headache so i need to get back to her. ta ta!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Elephant Washing!Elephant Washing!
Elephant Washing!

Ana the ele!


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb