Visit to GK Field Offices


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka
June 26th 2007
Published: June 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Visit to GK Field Offices

 Asia » India » Karnataka By jelibeli101
June 26th 2007
jzd
Vikash and I went to two Grameen Koota field offices to conduct interviews with clients for case studies.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

River CrossingRiver Crossing
River Crossing

We had to cross this little river to get to one of the villages where we were conducting interviews. Luckily the monsoons haven't been too bad in Karnataka. But I'd imagine, with a couple days of heavy rains, the village would be completely isolated from everything else.
Riding around the VillagesRiding around the Villages
Riding around the Villages

All the loan officers travel on two-wheelers between villages to visit clients. That's Vikash straight ahead.
SilkwormSilkworm
Silkworm

One of the women we met investing in a sericulture business. This is one of her silkworms busy at work.
GowarmmaGowarmma
Gowarmma

A GK superstar. In the past 5 years she has started several businesses, purchase tractors, bought her house (which has a TV, DVD player, fan) and is now investing in a poultry farm.
SericultureSericulture
Sericulture

Full view of sericulture where silk is made.
Village ChildrenVillage Children
Village Children

We obviously made friends with all the little children we met.
Gowramma (#2)Gowramma (#2)
Gowramma (#2)

She is also a GK client and has started a little grocery store with all the basics.
Rice PaddiesRice Paddies
Rice Paddies

This is what we passed by on our ride to one of the villages.
High on LifeHigh on Life
High on Life

Nothing beats cruising in the beautiful country side on a motorcycle.
Razya with her SilkRazya with her Silk
Razya with her Silk

She purchases packaged strands of silk and sells them at the market.
HabiHabi
Habi

A client who trades mangoes. There were about 500 mangoes on her living room floor.
Saleema and her HusbandSaleema and her Husband
Saleema and her Husband

She gets GK loans to invest in her husband's handicrafts business because she is too ill to work. They were the nicest couple I met.
HandicraftsHandicrafts
Handicrafts

She gets GK loans to invest in her husband\'s handicrafts business because she is too ill to work. They were the nicest couple I met.
IncenseIncense
Incense

One of the clients buys sticks in bulk, packages them and her husband sells them at markets in bangalore.
Channapatna Ladies BranchChannapatna Ladies Branch
Channapatna Ladies Branch

This was a pilot branch to see what would happen if a branch only had female loan officers. So far they are doing well but don't love the long hours.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb