Divarli Festival


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Mysore
November 3rd 2008
Published: November 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Bangalore after another long night coach from Hampi.
Bangalore bus station was buzzing with people when we arrived as the early morning rush hour.
We walked to another bus stop and caught a coach straight to Mysore about 3 hours away.
Mysore is a smaller ciry than Bangalore, but still equally dirty. The streets seem to be dominated by men, everywhere.
As we roamed around the streets intent to buy some bits, we got harrassed by a young Indian student, who seemed nice enough. Giving us tips and saying he wanted to practise his English with us.
He ended up showing us the markets and taking us to see incense being made. Which was interesting, although it came with a catch. After seeing the incense being made, we were introduced to an Ayvedic doctor who was selling his pure oils for a good price.
He was a fascinating guy, and gave us some of his oil recipies to help heal asthma, stretchmarks and digestion. We ended up paying full price for the oils and blowing two days budget. whoops.
It was the Davali festial when we were in Mysore, so the place was very busy.
We decided to dress up for the festival of lights and go to the Maharaja's Palace.
The palace and grounds were lit up for an hour in the most spectacular light display and there were fireworks everywhere.
We met some lovely familes walking around the grounds, they were so pleased to meet two western girls. Shaking our hands and asking for photos.
The city didn't sleep that night, fireworks, music and people singing most of the night.
After two nights of a busy city, we had seen enough. And decided to head south to Kerala on another night bus. 12 hours this time, sat up.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb