back to mysore in order to get to mangalore


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Mysore
November 29th 2002
Published: March 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

(b) 29/11/02 (day 74) (/b)
Up at bloody 06:30 to pack! Had brekkie, chatted to a few people and got the bus. The "leader" on the bus was a right bossy boots "sit down... sit there...." We got prime position near the front (french men and John from manchester were on the same bus) Took 1 hour to herd 17 other people on in ooty and off we set. Views stunning on the way down... quite a part was going on, on the back seat (singing and brandy) We were subjected to a hindi tape; full of the usual screeching... singing!! Broke down on one occasion which was fixed by newspaper!! and only narrowly missed a jeep, a dog and about 9 women- not bad for a driver who looked like he might fall asleep at any second!! Got to Mysore at 1ish and bookend in MTR deluxe Lodge, which was recommended- clean modern hotel for Rs 350. We then attempted to book a day trip to Belur and Halebid- however no interest apparently "Indians don't like going to temples!!!" (put a few tatt stalls outside it and they would!!!) therefore going to managlore tommorow on the night bus- allegedly super deluxe (I have yet to even find a deluxe bus!!) We had lunch in a hotel restaurant, therefore very annoying service- 4 and 5 people stood over the top of you!! Emailed big time; our parcel from Jaisalmer has arrived (hooray!) Back to our hotel, before going to parklane restaurant with John and met the french men there- had a great meal and alot of beers!!! Tried to find someone who knew where we could get a beer! Definetley found the wrong person! Drove around and around to closed drinking dens. Turned up outside one and appeared to have been shut due to fighting- seemed really bloody rough! Got rickshaw to take us to our hotel- he argued ++ about the fare- luckily 2 armed police managed to "sort " the arguement out!!
(b) 30/11/02 (day75) (/b)
Lay in bed until hammering from building works become too much ! Got up 12 ish and didn't have brunch until 2ish - went to Ritz hotel (certainly not THE Ritz!) Had chicken sizzler, which was good. We then went to a silk shop, however they really didn't have what we wanted.... all material, which needed to be made into something. Then had a mega emailing session before going back to hotel to pack. Went to parklane restaurant with John for evening meal; had barbequed lamb, only it was cold, so sent it back. Came back warm but defineltey not as good as their curries. Said good bye to John- he was going to get "caned!) Checked out of "happy hotel!"- staff definetley need some happy pills! and went to get our "deluxe bus". True to form it became the usual bloody farce........ Apparently a tourist bus does not carry tourist luggage in the boot... oh no it carries fucking biscuits!! Had a huge row with the usual idiots whom can only smile and look blankly at you. In the middle of this an indian girl decided to take picutes of us (her timing was perfect!) We ended up on the bus with 32 other people and their luggage which included sacks, buckets and more biscuits (probably!) They seem to have no awareness of safety and passenger comfort. We dumped our bags at the front of the bus. We both definetley had a "what the hell are we doing in india....we fucking hate it moment!" We managed to recline our seats and off we set. Woken at midnight by people clambering on the roof and putting more items up there- probably biscuits! Got into mangalore at 06:10 precisely (we know that, as we are in one of those delightful 24 hour check in hotels "srinivas"- not bad actually for Rs 300- hot water, towels and sheets!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb