Hello to all From Marta and I


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hampi
January 8th 2011
Published: January 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well here it is our superblog of India for all of you, we left from Barca on 30th to go to London catching up with Vari along the way, then it was on to Bombay curtisy of Kingfisher airlines which despite all expectations was fantastic, a brand new airbus with all the trimmings, and the pretiest most helpfull hostesses.
We arrived in Mumbai after 11 hours to our first taste of the poverty which is such an unfortunate part of this most amazing and fascinating country, around the airport there is many shanty towns very hard to miss. We sat and waited for our Goa connection where i felt like i was on a ferry, a mixture of lack of sleep and being on a plane for so long. When we got our second Kingfisher flight of the day it became clear they spend there money on the international fleet. the most bizarre of noises accompanying our takeoff, but the hostess was easy so i didn't worry, Marta however was a bit scared.

Finally arriving in Goa we headed an hour south of the airport to Benaulim to a place called Blue corner where we had a booking for a beach hut, then came the inevitable mix up and changing of places, by this time we were far too tired to argue and tried to get some sleep as the whole world celebrated new year around us.
Short day tips to Panjim and Old goa over the next couple of days were a nice introduction to India, Old goa was very funny full of Christian churches with Nativity scenes that they just coudnt get quite right, Massive baby jesus or really small Camels and my personal favorite the one with two baby Jesus's. There was a massive que to take photos of something but when i got to the front i asked a woman what she was taking a photo off she didnt know, i suspect that no one did. Marta told me I was very judgmental when i seen a man with a woman's hat but he really did look silly.
We then stayed in a place called Margoa which was easily the most skanky place we've ever seen, shit everywhere, insect infested bedroom really not nice and two boys fishing in what was literally a stream of shit. Marta seen a woman sweeping the street but ive never seen anyone in my life pissing against the wind more than that, however we soon got our train to Hampi.

It's a very cliche to say the trains in India are a real highlight but we both loved them, whatever you need at any moment of time is brought straight past you with the calls of "chai, chai, chai", "samosa, samosa, samosa", and a really scenic journey it was too, up through jungle infested mountains and past the highest waterfall in India.

Arrived in Hampi on the 4rth and i dont think there are many nicer places on this entire earth, full of ruined temples and the happiest people ive ever encountered, we have had our photos taken with thousands of men, women , schoolchildren and pilgrims all delighted to have made our acquaintance for a brief moment, yesterday marta got absolutely mobed by about fifty children at once, both she and they absolutely loving it.
We have spent most of our time here traveling around the various ruins and temples by moped, also going out for long drives in the surrounding countryside which is paradise, rice paddys and bannana trees abound in what must be one of the most fertile places on earth. We are staying across the river from Hampi and have the most glorios views across the river to the main temples, from our window we have seen monkeys, lizards, big birds, chipmonks and a bathing elephant not to mention the hundreds of people who go about their daily washing in the river.

Hope you are all good and i will update more as we go along, lots of love from Marta and I


Advertisement



8th January 2011

i'm very happy to here from you guys it seems like your having lots of fun, take care!!!! mickey you changed cerveza beer cerveza beer for chai chai samosa chai jajajajajajajaja keep wrighting and maybe add some pictures al least that one with the to jesus jajajajajajajajaj!!!
8th January 2011

great stuff
Hi Mickey and Marta , looks like you are having a great time , are you traveling for long or is it just a holiday ?? . Happy new year . Yann
29th January 2011

Kids
I am so confused! Why did the kids mob marta?? Was she handing out sweeties???
30th January 2011

Kids
They just want to 1, shake hands 2, ask name 3, ask country 4, repeat 2000000 times

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb