India - The South


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hampi
February 3rd 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This was not in the plan but was so glad to get to the warmth and the more chilled out way of pretty much everything...the men still stare but not with as much conviction as the northern counterparts!!

We got to Ajanta too late to stay...so did the big haul down to Bombay! we moved form our comfy 3AC sleepr down to sleeper and went to sit with the locals, we even had to share a seat since it was so full! It was a great journey and met a lovely family who tried to give me some bangles, upon me trying them on I was highly embarrassed that they would not fit over my hand to get on my wrist - oops!!

Bombay - nice and warm but bloody expensive!!! The city had a very european influence to it and w instantly felt loads more chilled out!! there were not as many touts, no cows in sight and no major smell of pee in the air! Darren did get sick here though which helped set us on a better, more healthy eating pattern..maybe a chance to lose weight!! yey!!

After Bombay we headed to Matheran whcih was a lovely hill station not far from Bombay. the 2 hour toy train jouirney was brilliant with top views! We had a great couple of days walking around and soaking in the sun and spectacular views, and we even acquired some vino to aid us in our relaxation!!

After that it was time to head to Hampi....a 15 hour bus journey from Pune (meant to be only 10) and we arrived in Hospet...got a local bus (finally_ to our hotel to be told that we cannot stay as the President is coming and Hampi will be closed for 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We do have the best luck.....despite this we wnt to Hampi - saw teh temple elephant get his bed time bath in the river, get some good food, have a shower (albeit a hot bucket), and look around some boulders. Which I have to say were amazing, it would have been so good to have stayed around here for ages and chille dout but it was not meant to be, o w did our piccys, walked around, had some brown bread (mmmmm) and headed off in search of a chill out haven!!

this chosen place ws to be Gokarna but gettin there was to be our next problem - all buses full since Hampi was closed....no hotel rooms, so we took the local bus....hell journey - the bumpiest one ever! There were times when we did wonder whenther our bowels might fail us as we were jolted up and were somehow airborne, then back down with a thud!! I think it was a bad idea to have had a fair few beers before embarking on the journey as I had to grit my teeth and lean my head down whilst holding a plastic bag in front of me!!

But it was all worth it, Gokarna was beautiful - sunny and golden sands...a great place to chill for a few days...mmmm!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb