Hampi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hampi
June 5th 2007
Published: June 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, we're finally in Hampi and it's quite possibly one of my favourite places in India so far. But first of the muchos hassles it took to get this far...

So there we are, watching the stars on the aft deck of the ferry as it chugs noisily back to Port Blair, contemplating our imminent departure from the islands in the morning, when Bhaarat's phone rings. Nothing unusual there, but there is with his facial expression - the travel agent who booked our flights has forgot to reconfirm them and thus we have been cancelled off the flight. What a sheer and utter knobhead. So we spend the next day camped at the airport trying to get on any flight we can, highly conscious that our island permits run out the following day... In the end we had to give up and check ourselves into a nice AC hotel (at the knobhead's expense) and just wait for the flight he managed to get us onto the following day. The reason we hadn't wanted to do this in the first place: we had a train booked for 2pm the same day... which we jumped onto at 1.55pm after running through customs and sitting impatiently in Chennai's traffic. Oh well, we made it, all shits and giggles in the end I guess!

Anywho, Hampi. It's great, the site of ruins of a lost empire of South India in a unique and magical setting; large boulders everywhere that appear to have been dropped haphazardly by the gods in a half desert, half lush semi-tropical landscape. And the best bit is, there's been no modern Indian settlement develop here, the old medieval bazaar is the only place that's inhabited and that was only resettled relatively recently. Plus most of it has now been turned into small guest houses creating a great chilled out backpacker scene. It's wonderful to live in the old bazaar, wandering the narrow streets or relaxing at one of the roof-top cafes. It looks and feels like you're living in a scene from Disney's Aladdin. Plus the landscape is great for rambling about (and bouldering if you've got the kit). The first evening I had a quick walk round and watched the sun set fire to the red boulders at sunset from the hills above the bazaar. Today Bhaarat and I have explored the ruined temples (some of which are really impressive) and just generally chilled out among the boulders. As weird as it sounds, sitting in the peace and just 'boulder-watching' is one of the most relaxing experiences ever!

On a more comic note: for the first night we decided to eat at a place recommended by Lonely Planet, The Mango Tree. Now, there was nothing wrong with the place (in fact, it was great - outdoor terrace, old gas lamps, cushioned floor seating overlooking the valley etc etc), but who do we sit down next two? None other than 2 particular chinese girls who we've met randomly no less than 6 times now, first in Chennai, all over the Andamans and now in Hampi... stalkers. So we actually decided to talk to them this time, how sociable of us.

Anyway off to Mumbai tomorrow, world watch out



Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb