Slowly gaining some altitude, while loosing temperature...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Jammu & Kashmir » Ladakh » Zanskar
November 4th 2013
Published: November 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

First things first...

On this first picture of our campsite you can see 2 bicycles. Of course they're not ours :-) They belong to a Polish couple who's traveling around the world with their bicycles! The have been around for more than a year now. But what's the most crazy, amazing, incredible, is that they are doing the same route as us since Padum! And as you could see there are no roads here. For some practical reason they had decided to go over the pass this way, because by road it would have taken them more than a month, while here they could do it in 10 days. But what they didn't realize was that there are really no cyclable roads here. So they ended up pushing there bikes for a couple of meters, going back to pick up a bag, and again back to pick up another bag. Like this they ended up doing each day 3 times the distance we were doing! They finally reached destination, but said they would never do this again!!! (more on gettingnowhere.net)

So today we're going to the foot of Gumbarajon, a holy mountain. It is made out of white granite, and is geologically much younger than the surrounding Himalayas. We're still not gaining much altitude, but the temperature is really dropping now. The valley was very windy and at night it was almost freezing, oups.

Here again a time-lapse. The second part of the time-lapse didn't go until full night, because a Yak decided to kick my camera and tripod. It fell hard on the ground but luckily no damage!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



5th November 2013

Ich mag deine Videos. Sie zaubern mir jedes MAl ein Lächeln ins Gesicht :-). Anne
15th November 2013
More Holy Mountain

Travel
Nice picture. Beautiful place.

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb