Winters in Leh : part 2


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Jammu & Kashmir » Ladakh » Leh
November 17th 2010
Published: November 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

then we had to explain a lot that we had been travelling high altitude places before plenty of times. and had been to Ladakh in Summers couple of times. so we want to experience the beauty of this place in a different season. though none was convinced with that crazy answer neither were we...
after taking tea. we kept our luggage on that shop itself and hunted for a place to stay. most of the hotels were closed. finally we were able to get a room in a hotel that was partially closed but owner was still staying there. they charged heavily. and there were couple of restriction too...
* Only 1 bucket water will be given for the day.....(though other forms of water(Ice and snow) were in surplus)
* Electricity will come only for an hour in a day so if you want to charge your camera etc. be disciplined
* 2 hot water fabric pillows will be given at 8'o clock in the night...
* Drinking water will be available 24*7...

After getting the accommodation,we roamed around in that desolated city where every one was looking at us with a suspicious perception. We decided to go to the DM office to get the permit for the border areas. again we had to justify our visit to Ladakh in winters. Thankfully,We got the permissions very easily...
1st night : We denied to get a room heating equipment because we thought we can survive without it in that deplorable winter. and it was a mistake. a huge one. Night was arctic. temperature went below -25 Celsius. we both could not sleep for the entire night..
In the morning we reached to landlady again and asked her to provide us room heating device (that runs on LPG)...We had to bargain a lot to keep the charges bit low. again we were suppose to run it in the night only. that too for 2 hours and if the cylinder will be empty. we will have to pay for the new cylinder...

Days were also very cold. temperature was always below -5. now it was time to find some place to get food. though we carried significant amount of ready to eat stuff from Delhi. finally we figured out that there is just one restaurant where we can take dinner and that too we have to finish before 7 PM. thin air already started showing its impact on our body. we were weary kind and getting acclimatize slowly slowly...


Images:

Read more

http://thinkingparticle.com/blog/wild-leh-winters

Advertisement



22nd December 2010

Hi
Hi Vishnu, I wish to go to Leh in the first week of Jan 11. Please give me tips if any. Please share your mobile number if you can. Thanks Bhavin
29th December 2010

mailed you
mailed you on your gmail id...please check

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb