Himalayan India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Jammu & Kashmir » Ladakh » Leh
June 22nd 2008
Published: June 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 21 June

We walked & climbed around Alchi & saw lots of vegetables & barley growing in the fields surrounding the village. There was a woman washing her turnips in one of the waterways alongside the path & we were invited into the house of one of our guide's, Dolma's, friend. It was a traditional house with a large kitchen, lots of pots & an attractive stove.

We drove back to Leh stopping at the Seikh Temple, Gurdwara Sri Pathar Sahib, which is famous for the large boulder in it which has an indentation in the shape of a man underneath it, said to be where a Guru hid from a devil who was trying to crush him. As we left the temple a group of young men who were on their way further east asked if they could take our photo with them for some unknown reason. There are more caucasions in Leh than we have seen elsewhere on this trip but still not all that many so I suppose we are a novelty!

After our return to Spic N Span hotel in Leh we did a little last minute shopping before going to bed as we had an early start in the morning.


Sunday 22 June

Left before 6am for the short drive to Leh Airport. We had been told that we could not carry on any luggage apart from a ladies handbag or a laptop so we had repacked the night before only to find that they were allowing people to take on lots of hand luggage. There were lots of security checks, more than anywhere else we have been, presumably because Leh is relatively near to the border & disputed area with Pakistan.

Our flight was a litttle delayed but we arrived in Delhi by 1030am & were taken to our hotel, The Residence, S 362 Panchsheel Park,Delhi, where we are to pass the time until we have to leave at 1am to return to the airport to check in for our flight to Dubai.

Hopefully I should get a chance to add some photos to this travelblog when we are in Dubai, so if anyone is interested please log in again & check back through the entries as I will try & add the photos near the appropriate text.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Russell with head covered in the Seikh TempleRussell with head covered in the Seikh Temple
Russell with head covered in the Seikh Temple

Sorry photo is so blurred but I was giggling to much to keep the camera steady!


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb