Hi, this is a description of our trip to Himachal Pradesh, encompassing Shimla, Manali, Kasol.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Shimla
November 22nd 2010
Published: November 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Shimla, view from the Shivalik ExpressShimla, view from the Shivalik ExpressShimla, view from the Shivalik Express

This is a spectacular view from the Shivalik Express which was taken as the train was following a winding path.
Hi, this is a description of our trip to Himachal Pradesh, encompassing Shimla, Manali, Kasol.

From Kalka to Shimla: We started the first leg of what was to be an eminently memorable & enjoyable trip, from Kalka. We reached Kalka from Delhi by the Delhi-Kalka mail, which is an excellent train, in terms of comfort as well as promptness. We reached Kalka quite early in the morning, and boarded the Shivalik Express. This was an unforgettable journey. The train went all the way through a narrow path amidst the mountain and the sight of all the natural, unscathed greenery is simply breath-taking. If you reside in a concrete jungle, and all of a sudden you come across nature in all her glorious beauty, I am sure you would be equally amazed. We were served tea & complimentary breakfast in the train & it was delightful sipping a cuppa while simultaneously delighting in the beauty of nature.

We reached Shimla at 12.30 pm, where we headed for the Hotel Holiday Home, which is an HPTDC Hotel. We freshened up and had our lunch at the hotel, which the food was quite scrumptious, though slightly costly, as these hotels usually are.
Jakkhoo PeakJakkhoo PeakJakkhoo Peak

Jakkhoo Peak
We hired a car and went to Jakkhoo Peak, which boasts of a Hanuman Temple, perched atop the mountain. We had a hilarious experience here. We hired sticks which were available near the temple premises after which we went all the way to the temple, waving the stick as a warning gesture in front of the monkeys, who looked at us in a sinister way, as we had probably hindered their attempt to get whatever they wanted to get, from us. Anyway, from there we went to the Indian Institute of Advanced Studies. This is a lovely place, and you will get to see diverse kinds of flowers, and yet again the scenery is amazing. At the IIAS, it is only possible to go inside if you are part of a conducted tour, thus we had to forego the chance to go inside the institute.

From there, the driver dropped us at the Mall Road, Shimla and this was a relief as we finally got the chance to peruse Shimla on our own. The Mall Road, as the name suggests is lined with varied shops, to suit diverse budgets. There are rows of handloom shops, shops selling local attire
The View from the IIASThe View from the IIASThe View from the IIAS

The splendid scenery inside the IIAS premises
which are interspersed with the reputed brands. There were Barista, Pizza outlets and to suit the diverse palate, you can opt for your choice amidst Sagar Ratna, Subway and of course, there are numerous HPTDC Restaurants.

At a little distance from the Mall Road, is a place called The Ridge. This is essentially a high position which permits you to view the grandeur of Shimla from a towering point, which proffers a bird’s eye view of the place. This is a splendid location and if you can visit during dusk, you would be sure to witness a vision which will leave you spellbound Ensure that you have a cup of coffee which can be availed at a nearby kiosk, and this will surely make your day.

Here, we saw the Christ Church and the Shimla Kalibari, where the menacing monkeys again made their presence felt. This was our first day at Shimla and we returned to the hotel exhausted but tremendously replete.
.

Shimla: Day 2:

A Memorable Day at Kufri:


From Shimla, we left early in the morning for Kufri. We reached a particular spot by car, after which the driver told
Fagu top, NaldaheraFagu top, NaldaheraFagu top, Naldahera

Naldahera And fagu Top
us to cover the rest of the terrain on horseback. Now, I must admit this is the first time in my life that I have viewed a full-fledged horse, and I must confess they look quite extraordinary, however when you are astride them, it is a different story altogether, as I realized to my chagrin.

The journey along a mud-spattered path was uneventful though we did get to see some cabbages along the way grown by the local residents. They were an amazing shade of green, and this is not the kind which you would get to see at your local market, take my word for it.

Atop Kufri, my husband and I got our snaps clicked by the local photographer. Even if you go there with your own digital camera, see to it that you get your snaps clicked by the local photographers, wearing the local attire. It is a memorable experience. There was a telescope, and through it, we were able to view Badrinath, the local Oberoi Hotel, The China Border as well as Vaisno Devi Temple which has been constructed by the local residents. It is quite distressing that despite my earnest persuasion, my husband
En route kasolEn route kasolEn route kasol

En route kasol
refused to get his picture clicked atop a mild and bored looking yak. To top it all, you can get your picture clicked as a pair, atop two separate yaks, with a gun and wearing a hat. Keep in mind though that in the process, you will end up looking like Quick Gun Murugan (no pun intended), and people are definitely going to laugh, when you are on the yak.

At Kufri too, there was a local Hanuman temple. I think the primary reason as to why there are numerous Hanuman temples in this vicinity is due to the fact that he was the only one who had the stamina to travel unhindered all over the place.

From Kufri, we resumed our journey on horseback to Mahasu peak, which is the highest peak in Kufri. From there, we went to Fagu Top, Shimla. This is at an altitude of 9,000 ft. The scenery as well as the altitude is literally breath-taking. At Fagu Top, we dismounted and the poor horse got a chance to rest. We walked uphill to a Ram-Sita Mandir, atop Fagu. The best part about the mandir was the scenery it proffered as well as
Naldahera, the Shooting SpotNaldahera, the Shooting SpotNaldahera, the Shooting Spot

Naldahera, the Shooting Spot
the fact that as Prasad, we were given juicy apples. The descent was quite strenuous, following which we again resumed the journey by car, and this was a relief as my bones were aching.

From Fagu, we went to Chini Bungalow and subsequently, Café Lalit. This café is run by HPTDC & after the sumptuous breakfast, we had naturally expected that the lunch would be great as well. However, here we were in for a big disillusionment. The food was quite unpalatable, and it was inedible as well. However, we did not have any other option but to make the most of it and all that the food was capable of doing was refueling. Near this café, there are shops selling warm salwar suits, which are reasonably priced, and I bought one suit from a shop near the café.

After refueling, we headed for Naldahera. Here again, we had to cover the terrain on horseback. One thing I forgot o mention is that when you are on horseback, there are local people who would be there with you throughout the journey and this is vital as the route is precipitous, and a fall could be life-threatening. At Naldahera,
En route kasolEn route kasolEn route kasol

En route kasol
we saw a scenic shooting spot, the Naldahera Golf course, as well as a picnic spot. All the places were astonishing.

We returned to the car after which we saw Mashobra, another high spot. As before, the driver dropped us at Mall Road, and we did some shopping. After this, we went for dinner at Aashiana, another HPTDC venture. The food here as well is quite unpalatable, though the view from the restaurant is incredible and I think this is why so many people frequent this restaurant.

We had coffee at Scandal Point, atop the Ridge. It seems as if you just cannot get enough of this place. The more you look, the more you are mesmerized. As before, we returned to the hotel worn out but replete.


Day 3: Kasol

We left Shimla quite early and headed for Kasol. As the journey was quite a long one, we bought Cds of KIshore Kumar songs which would last us, throughout the journey. The journey was quite uneventful and along the way, we crossed Mandi, which is a mandir locality. En route to Kasol, we saw the Pandoh Dam and the water gushing out of the
Gurudwara at ManikaranGurudwara at ManikaranGurudwara at Manikaran

Kasol-continued
dam is a sight. We also saw the Sutlej and the Beas.

We reached Kasol at 7 in the evening and it was quite cold at that time. This was on the 29th of September and there was a definite nip in the air, which made us reach out for the woolens. We had planned to stay at a place called Parvati Kuteer, and this is a lovely place. The hospitality which was proffered by the manager as well as his assistant was amazing. The location of this cottage is splendid, with the mountains as the backdrop and the sound of the Parvati River gushing by. As we were tired after the long journey, we declined to explore and spent the evening and night in the lawn of the cottage.

This cottage is an exclusive one, which has just 5 or 6 rooms, so if you want a room, you would have to book well in advance. Moreover, breakfast and dinner are complimentary, and the food is cooked by the assistant, and is quite tasty, as ghar ka khaana usually is.

The night was spent gazing at the stars after which provisions were made for a bonfire.
ManikaranManikaranManikaran

Manikaran
We were joined by a motley group of Israeli tourists comprising a teacher, a software engineer, a businessman, and a few professors. They were quite courteous and they wanted to know all about Kasol, Shimla and India, in general. Contrary to our opinion, foreigners can be quite warm and welcoming.

Kasol is also a beautiful place,which is a haven for people who want to bask in the glory of nature. It is calm, quiet, serene and beautiful and at night when you hear the sound of the river gushing by, you feel relaxed.

Day 4: Kasol:

The stay at Kasol was quite amazing. It proffered a chance to peruse the amazing wonders of nature as well as rest. It was a stopgap amidst the frenzied schedule which we had followed at Shimla and it was to prepare us, for the hectic agenda which awaited us, at Manali.

After a complimentary breakfast which was again savored in the midst of nature, we set out to explore Kasol. We reached Manikaran. There is a gurudwara, which is renowned as it has a hot sulfur spring nearby. The water possesses curative benefits, which is why most of the people bathe in it, to avail its benefits. I could also sense its properties as I dipped my feet in it, to cure the aching which had been caused by incessant walking and after a while, most of the pain had subsided. The gurdwara also has provisions for a langar, and you eat within this holy place, and it is believed that the dal and chawal is cooked by means of this boiling water. The gushing water is definitely something to view from a distance.

We had lunch at Evergreen Restaurant, which is nestled amidst the scenic beauty of the mountains. From this restaurant, you can get a splendid view, and the food is quite tasty as well. Kasol is mainly frequented by Israeli tourists and this is evident as there is a separate menu in the restaurant which serves just Israeli food.

As mentioned earlier, the stay was uneventful; however it was a welcome and much-needed break which also enabled us to view the beauty of nature, in close proximity.


Day 5: Manali:

In a way, reaching Manali was a good and distressing experience, as it heralded the last leg of our memorable journey. From
Naggar CastleNaggar CastleNaggar Castle

Naggar Castle
Kasol, we moved on towards Manali. Like the previous occasions, we had to leave quite early, to reach our destination. En route to Manali, we passed Kulu, where we bought the famed Kullu Shawls for our friends and family. It was indeed sad that at the time when we'd reached, the apple orchards were not in full bloom, thus we saw some pathetic as well as emaciated apple trees. When we were on our way to Manali, we stopped at a place called Yatri Niwas where there was a Mata Vaishno Devi mandir.

Our first stop was at Naggar. We stopped at the Roerich Art Gallery, where we saw marvelous paintings of the reputed artist Nicholas Roerich, which were on display. Beware that when you are viewing the paintings do not get too close to them or an alarm would be set off, following which you would be required to pay a fine. Nicholas Roecrich felt strongly for the mountains and this is revealed in his style of painting, which follows tempera, and is not your standard oil painting. There is something quite mysterious as well as enchanting about the paintings which leave you mesmerized. His ideologies were manifested
Mystic ManaliMystic ManaliMystic Manali

Manali.........a place i shall forever remember
in the Urusvati Institute. He felt that the mountains were the only place to attain enlightenment. His son, Svetoslav Roerich was married to the famous actress of the yesteryear, Devika Rani. We also saw their house, which is in quite a fragile state, and thus permits just a few people to enter at any given point in time.

From there, we went to Naggar Castle, which was supposedly built by the Maharaja of Patiala. This has now been converted to a hotel cum restaurant, thus a visit to the castle would lead to tantalizing aromas.

From Naggar, we headed for Jagatsukh, where we saw two ancient temples, which have supposedly existed since the reign of the Pandavas. They were the Gayatri Mandir and the GauriShankar Mandir. From this place, we reached Manali in the evening.

Manali, like Shimla also has a Mall Road, which are lined with diverse shops and we visited this place, in the evening. Since it had been a hectic day, we retired early.


Rohtang Pass:

We left quite early for Rohtang Pass. En route to Rohtang Pass, we had to hire warm suits, which made us look like miniature astronauts.
Roerich Art GalleryRoerich Art GalleryRoerich Art Gallery

Roerich Art Gallery
We felt a little silly, wearing the warm suits and sitting in the car, however we realized quite soon, just how useful it would be.

The car continued its steep ascent past a precipitous path, and as we were moving slowly upwards, the view was spectacular. Remember that when you are ascending, you might feel dizzy. We reached a particular point, after which we were required to go on horseback, to view the snowfall. I must say that I will remember this trip as the horseback trip

On horseback too, we could reach a particular spot following which we had to walk uphill. The path was steep and it was a strenuous exercise climbing uphill. Breathlessness was just another thing we were getting used to, and as we reached the top the view was awe-inspiring. However, like I said this is where we realized just how useful our astronaut’s suits were. We were pink-cheeked and the cold was biting. But, it was an unforgettable experience. My husband and I indulged in a mini snowball fight, following which we started our descent.

The path downhill was equally treacherous and there were quite a few people who were nervous
Kasol, Parveeti KuteerKasol, Parveeti KuteerKasol, Parveeti Kuteer

Kasol, Parveeti Kuteer
as their horse seemed fidgety. As we reached our car, we headed for a dhaba, where we had lunch. This overabundance of physical exercise made us eat like a horse (again no pun intended) 

The sky was overcast and there was a smell of rain, in the air. The mountainous weather can be quite unpredictable, one moment the sun is shining, and the next moment without any warning, the sky is overcast.

We passed Solan Valley, on the way back to our hotel, where there were provisions for paragliding and cable car. As it was drizzling, we had no other option but to head homeward. We again went to the Mall Road and returned at night, exhausted.

Manali: Last Day

The last day was quite saddening. Believe me, when you are in the midst of all this natural beauty, heading homeward would be the last thing on your mind.

On our last day, we first went to the Hadimba Temple. The Hadimba Temple was constructed to pay respect to Devi Hadimba. The subsequent pandav, Bhim was Hadimba's spouse. It is believed that Bhim slayed Hadimba's brother Hadimb, who was actually a demon following which
Captivating ManaliCaptivating ManaliCaptivating Manali

Captivating Manali
he married Hadimba . After Hadimba married Bhim, she embarked on reparation subsequent to which her son Ghatochkach, was born. Following this Hadimba is revered as Devi Hadimba, who is believed to be a deity.

We went to Van Vihar, adjoining the Hadimba temple, which is filled with natural greenery. This place is a sight for sore eyes, and we clicked innumerable snaps here.

We went to Vashishtha Muni's temple from there. The gates were locked as we had reached during the afternoon, but the view from the outside was equally splendid. From there, we visited the Ningmapa Monastery. This is a serene and beautiful place. The interior of the monastery was magnificent and beautifully decorated. I could never imagine that a place of worship could be this colorful. There was a riot of colors everywhere, Red, green. Blue…..The statue of Lord Buddha was equally splendid, in a meditative state. We actually had to go upstairs to see the statue in its entirety. It truly is a magnificent place, serene, beautiful.

From the monastery, we visited another Tibetan Monastery nearby. This was not as famous as its counterpart though, it inspired an equal amount of reverence.

From there, we visited another park cum Van Vihar, nearby. This place is lined with numerous shops and you can acquire items as mementos which are quite reasonably priced, and would thus not burn a hole in your pocket. The gushing sound of the Beas was what we heard and saw and it was a splendid end to a marvelous trip, and though I will never say this to him, I am indeed grateful to my husband for his meticulous planning which made this trip a huge success.

We retired early, as usual and it was the last day of our lovely trip. Our suitcase was overflowing with stuff which we had purchased for ourselves, and as gifts, and our heart was overflowing with the beauty of the place we had explored, and somewhere it was saddening that we had to leave all this behind to resume the monotony of everyday life. But then, such is life and all good things must necessarily come to an end. This is however a trip which I shall cherish and will have fond memories of, for a long, long while to come.





















Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb