In Shimla


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Shimla
November 29th 2008
Published: November 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrived safe and well in Shimla. It was the summer capital during the time of the Raj. Today we are going to see the Viceroy's old residence where the empire (approx one fith of the globe at the time) was ruled from during the summer months. It is also the place where the meetings were held finalising Independance and Partition in the forties. We caught the Himalayan Queen here, it is a 'toy' train that runs on tracks about 2 ft wide! Great journey with beautiful scenery the whole way.

It is a beautiful place and we can both see why it is so popular with tourists. Again we have been fortunate to descend on a Lavazza coffee house but we have decided to curb our love of coffee and try to experience life without our westen desire for cafine.

We heard about Mumbai. Everyone here is talking about it, but don't worry folks we are a long way away from there up in the Mountains. Well, not actually in the mountains that would be very uncomfortable and cold.

We are staying in a cheap hotel called city view which is clean and has some resident monkeys. Tony was feeding them my almonds which were picked from kashmir and transported here by a man who lives at the hotel. His name is Mushy, the way he told us to remember is by the english peas!

We plan to stay here for a couple of days and then we catch a 10hour bus to a place called Dharamsala. We are not looking forward to the bus journey, but i'm sure you guys will enjoy reading about it. Take care everyone. We are safe and well and will contact you soon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb