Kalka to Shimla - TOY TRAIN


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Shimla
September 2nd 2008
Published: September 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

After Amritsar, we decided to head to Shimla in a toy train from Kalka. It took us four hours on a car from Amritsar to Kalka. More so because, our driver was really pissed with us for not letting him take his brother in law with us.

We managed to reach Kalka on time for our train at 6 AM. But it was a long wait, firstly because we reached at 3 AM at the station - which turned out OK coz we got to relax a bit. Secondly because, the train got full, so we couldnt get on it even with a reserved ticket.

we decided to talk to the station master, who was woken up from his deep slumber when we charged into his room. He informed us that another train will be there in an hour and we would be able to take that. I was not sure what to expect out of this toy train, but the first glimpse of it makes u justify its name. It is really small, with only 72 seats in total. It goes through the most picturesque locations, passing through 100 tunnels and finally reaching Shimla afer a long journey. There s food on board for free.

Shimla was really crowded even though it was not its peak season. We anyways had a great time there, attended a mass at the church and also went to a club with only 4 people who were all wasted and dancing like they ve never danced before. We also climbed up to the Jhaku temple which is supposed to be for some monkey god, so there are a lot of monkeys around that place. And most of them are not afraid of people. Infact they snatch nethin in your hands in anticipation of food. People want to rent you a stick to keep the monkeys off. We decided against it.

The hike to the temple was exhausting , but the view from top was so much worth it. Snow covered peaks, miles of forests and the view from the top. While coming back we saw an open ice skating club. We went there and had a bit of fun and finally ended up wasted in our rooms at the end of the night. I were heading to Delhi next day while everyone else was going to mclodgunj.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



1st February 2010

good
this is a very nice jarny and i aprisheat this jarny

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb