On the bikes at last.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Sarahan
June 26th 2017
Published: June 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Following breakfast and a brief chat with our American medic Kristen we loaded our luggage onto the backup minibus, put on our bike gear and walked over to where the bikes were stored. Another briefing followed where we learnt how to start and ride our seemingly ancient steeds, Indian manufactured 500cc Royal Enfield Bullets. Starting was particularly useful as they were not easy to kick start and stalled in the worst of places, usually on a steep uphill section of sandy earth with a lorry 2 feet behind you and a bus heading straight towards you.

With some trepidation we fought our way through the chaotic traffic out of Shimla on streets still wet from the early morning rain and started to get used to our rather agricultural bikes. After stops for chai and very tasty lunch (more curry) we started to get onto more interesting and slightly more traffic free roads. Getting used to riding the bikes was interesting. The suspension is vey stiff and the gear change and foot brake are on different sides to most bikes. Consequently we often found ourselves trying to change gear only to find the rear wheel skidding as we pressed the wrong lever! About 5pm we turned sharp right off the main road and road up a steep and very bumpy and occasionally muddy dirt track for about 4 miles.

Arriving in Sarahan we discovered that we would be staying in a monastery in this little hill top village. The monastery was beautiful but accommodation was very basic with a very hard bed, chair, huge bathroom and two taps, basin and loo. And to add to our pleasure, piped Buddhist music was played loudly across the monastery area, starting at 4am for an hour and then again at 6am. Not surprisingly, everyone was up by 7amand walked down to a tiny shop that served breakfast. Amazingly although the shop was very basic, we were served a delicious spicy omelette and chapati and of course the mandatory chai.

Advertisement



29th June 2017

A full belly all the way!
Kevin, I feel a "road trip recipe book' coming on! You definately sound like one of the Hairy Bikers.....am hoping to see a beard on your return! Have a safe day Mxx

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb