SARAHAN THE MODERN SHONITPUR


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Sarahan
November 15th 2014
Published: November 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Sarahan in Rampur Bushahr Tehsil of Shimla district of Himachal Himalayas is not only easily approachable on the Delhi-Shimla onwards journey, but also a destination that can be covered by travellers winding up their travel after doing Sangla Valley or Kalpa, etc., or those travelling to Kinnaur after first doing Kullu valley stretch. Both ways, the journey happens by driving through the fabulous stretch of mountainous trail crossing Jalodi Pass, about 10,000 ft. above sea level, which offers great panoramic views of Dhauladhar ranges on the left side and Shimla hills on the right. With a Hindu temple, a few food-stalls, and parking space, the pass gives a different feel. The mountain ranges on both sides are heavily pine-forest covered, and the snow-covered majestic Dhauladhar ranges merge in the horizon. Travellers crossing the pass before ten in the morning are sure to witness the unimaginable morning views of fog-filled valleys or countless variations of the phenomena. The climb-down routes on both sides of the pass are full of visual feasts of wild flowers, pine-trees, colourful climbers holding huge pine trees in their arms, and thick jungles with cool rivulets, streams and water-springs birthing fragile ecology. The motor road head villages

on both sides offer interesting locations. Jhibbi on Banjar and Kullu side is a fascinating hard-core mountain solitude seekers’ favourite with virgin sylvan locations and facilities right on the motor-road head.



After a 13 hours journey from Delhi, after crossing Shimla, Bilaspur, Narkanda, Rampur, and Jeori, when one nears Sarahan, one finds oneself in a different world. The grandeur of the ancient Shonitpur that had developed into a fine temple complex of Bhimakali fame and the majestic capital of the royalty in the past is now fast developing mountain side modern Sarahan township. The place is quite a celebration of nature, culture and tourism. The antiquity and uniqueness of Bhima Kali temple architecture with Himalayan pagoda temple style beauty of steeply sloping slate roofs and kath-koni walls deserve repeated visits. With the temple trust under Shri Virbhadra Singh, the present king of the erstwhile Kinnaur kingdom, and ruling Chief Minister, this fascinating township is getting much deserving developmental focus. Adding to its beauty is the sudden mushrooming of bungalows and hotels with red and green roofs. One reason behind this trend in architecture is return of heavy snowfall winters which caused cracks in the flat cement roofed houses built unmindfully in place of traditional slanting slate-roofed houses. One wishes that traditional architecture is preserved to accord uniformity of appearance which is said to be one of the most enriching features of any style. The local villages of Rami and Rangori are visual joys for their neat and clean surrounds and the blend of traditional slate roof and bungalow style houses attuned to snow-clad mountain ranges.

Among tourists, the Bengali footfall is highest due to their allegiance to Deity Kali and the link to Kamru, the abode of Kamakhya in Sangla valley; though number of other tourists looking for quality nature and culture exploration is not less.

The cool summer air and sunny winter days are unique of this town flourishing on the lap of Bhashal meadows above. At a height of about 6,400 feet, 180 kilometre from Shimla, the place offers wonders of nature, pheasant breeding centre, short sylvan and mountain walk route of old abandoned Hindustan-Tibet Road of mule and horse caravan days, and the enthralling snow clad views of Shrikhand mountain ranges to the other side of the river Satluj.

There is enough government and private accommodation. The evening sights and sounds of the mountains facing Sarahan from Hotel Shrikhand goes like light and sound programme that brings out the silhouette shapes of the mountain ranges and peaks in various shades.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb