Saurashtra - mini-tour


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Gujarat
November 19th 2021
Published: November 19th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Gujarat state in western India is geographically and culturally divided in to at least four regions: Saurashtra, Kutchh, North Gujarat and South Gujarat (with Central Gujarat in between). I have lived in Saurashtra for 36 years and North Gujarat for 27 years. Interest in re-(re)-visiting some parts of Saurashtra is therefore natural.

I have copied some information (mostly legends) from sources available on internet (not necessarily authentic – I have used them only because I liked the contents). I have also given links to these sources. You may use hyperlinks to read more about the place. I have not re-written the description wherever good source is available.

Saurashtra (also known as Kathiawad) is further divided into different areas (which are more relevant historically): Halar (present day Jamnagar), Sorath (Junagadh), Gohilwad (Bhavnagar) and Jhalawad (Surendranagar) (Map).

This trip was for 7 days at selected places only – covering Halar (Jamnagar, Dwarka) and Sorath (Porbandar, Junagadh) regions. If you want to see the whole of Saurashtra, you need 3-4 weeks. The tour covered places of religious / mythological and historical importance. Since I have visited these places several times, I am putting up old photographs at some places. As photography is not allowed in our religious shrines, I have borrowed some photographs from Google Dev.

Day-1: Gandhinagar to Jamnagar (330 Km – 7 Hrs).

Driving further to Dwarka on the same day adds another 140 Km and is tiring.

@ Jamnagar, we visited:

1. Bala Hanuman temple – where non-stop (24 hrs a day) chanting of Ram-dhun is going on for last 58 years (it was day no. 20203).

Bala Hanuman Temple, also known as Shri Balahanuman Sankirtan Mandir is situated at the south east side of Ranmal Lake (or Lakhota Lake) in Jamnagar.

Since 1st August, 1964, chanting of Ram dhun – 'Shri Ram, Jai Ram, Jai Jai Ram' goes on in the temple premises, day in and day out. Dhun was started by Prem Bhushanji maharaj (aka Prem Bhikshu ji). This 24x7 ritual has been acknowledged and listed by the Guinness Book of World Records. Anyone can join the chanting.

(Source: https://www.tourmyindia.com/states/gujarat/bala-hanuman-temple-jamnagar.html)

2. Lakhota Lake: A very pleasant place to visit in the early morning or in the evening. Now-a-days you need Covid vaccination certificate and buy a ticket to enter the walkway.

The Lakhota Lake is visited by various species of birds, particularly during the period of migration, making the overall atmosphere more special. Lakhota Fort and Museum are located on an island inside the lake and can be reached through two pathways that connect them with the bank.

(Source: https://www.tourmyindia.com/states/gujarat/bala-hanuman-temple-jamnagar.html)

3. Swaminarayan temple on Airport Road. Beautiful carvings and big open space with garden and fountains.

Day-2: Jamnagar to Dwarka (145 Km – 4 Hrs).

On the way, visited Keshod village (12 Km off Khambhalia town). Keshod is a small village of about 3000 population. A school has been built though donation by my maternal uncles, in the name of my maternal grandfather Dr N C Mankad.

Road from Reliance Petrochemicals to Dwarka (~110 Km) has about a million potholes and is practically non-existent.

On reaching Dwarka, visited:

1. Dwarkadhish temple (and Tulabhar): The temple closes several times (8-10 times) in a day, so you have to plan accordingly.

Story of Tulabhar(am): The film begins with Lord Krishna (N. T. Rama Rao) and Satyabhama (Jamuna) returning after defeating Narakasura and entire Dwaraka gives them a warm welcome. Satyabhama is a beautiful proud, self-respected egotistical, possessive lady and she conceits herself that she is the main reason for this victory. Meanwhile, Sage Narada (Kanta Rao) brings Paarijata flower from heaven, gives it to Krishna and asks him to present it to his best wife without any doubt he gifts it Rukmini (Anjali Devi). Here Narada praises Rukmini and talks low about Satyabhama. Knowing this, Satyabhama becomes furious and shows her annoyance towards Krishna. Therefore, he promises Satyabhama that he has just given a flower to Rukmini but for her, he will get the entire Parijat tree from heaven with roots and plant it in her garden. Lord Krishna reaches heaven along with Satyabhama, confronts with Lord Indra (Rajanala), acquires Parijat tree and gifts it to Satyabhama. As a result, the pride in Satyabhama increases tenfold and looks low at Krishna's remaining wives. Knowing everything, Lord Krishna acts as innocent and silently plays drama with Narada. After that, on the occasion of Rukmini's birthday, she invites Krishna and Satyabhama to take her hospitality. Satyabhama does not allow Krishna, but Krishna yields towards Rukmini's devotion and goes along with her. Now Satyabhama becomes depressed for her defeat and she wants to achieve Krishna's love totally for herself. Sage Narada takes advantage of the situation and provokes Satyabhama to perform a ritual. The main concept of the ritual is that Satyabhama must donate her husband Krishna along with the Parijat tree and she can get back him by repaying with the gold of his weight. Arrogant Satyabhama feels that she can easily weigh her husband with her wealth. So, without any hesitation, she donates Krishna to Sage Narada, but the situation becomes reversed, Satyabhama is unable to outweigh Krishna, even after using her entire wealth. Sage Narada takes Lord Krishna along with him and starts selling him on the streets. Seeing this, the Dwaraka people become violent and try to crush Narada. Lord Krishna stops them when Krishna's remaining wives come forward, ask Narada to take their entire wealth and leave their husband. Here, Sage Narada explains that no one has understood the real form of Krishna, he is a lord who will yield only for devotion. Sage Narada also says that there is only one person in this universe who can weigh Lord Krishna that is none other than Rukmini. Ultimately, Satyabhama's pride completely comes to an end and she brings Rukmini by falling on her feet. Finally, Rukmini weighs Krishna with one Tulasidalam (Basil leaf) and gets him back, while Satyabhama also realizes the real form of the Lord and becomes his devotee.

2. Nageshwar jyotirlinga (15 Km from Dwarka) – one of the 12 Jyotirlingas.

3. Gopi talav:

There are tow versions of stories related to Gopi talav-

(i) Gopi Talav is a midsize lake located around 20 kms from Dwarka on the way to Bet Dwarka. The story behind the lake takes us back to Lord Krishna’s childhood when he was revered by the gopis of Vrindavan. When Krishna shifted his capital to Dwarka, the gopis couldn’t bear his estrangement. They came to meet him in Dwarka and performed raas on the day of sharad poornima. After the raas, they offered their lives to the soil of this land and merged with Lord Krishna.

(ii) A Doha of Kabir:

“Manushya nahin hot Balwaan, Samay hot Balwaan;
Bhillan Luti Gaupika, wahi arjun wahi baan.”


Other Variant:

“Manushya kadi balwaan nahi; Samaya sab se balwaan
Kaabe Arjuna lutiyo; Wahi dhanush wahi baan”


Literal meaning of this doha is as follows:
“Man is not powerful, Time is powerful;
Bhils (tribe from central
india See wiki) stole Gopikas, Inspite of Arjun being there with his Arrows”

This is actually based on a story from Mahabharata.

After the great mahabharat war was over, Bhagwaan Srikrishna got involved in solving the differences between the Yaadawas.
Once everything was settled Bhagwaan Srikrishna knew that his Avataar is coming to an end and he goes to the Jungle for final days.
He gets hit on his toe and is wounded badly. Upon hearing this Arjun wants to meet him and along the way he is joined by few Gopikas who also want to meet Krishna.


Naarad Muni meets Arjun on the way and advises him that under any circumstances “Do Not touch Lord Krishna”.

Arjun is bamboozled but he decides to believe and obey Naarad Muni as he is a respected figure from Swarga Loka.

Lord Krishna is very pleased to see Arjun and invites him to give him hug. Arjun refuses to touch Krishna (remembering the advise by Naarad Muni.)
Lord Krishna is amused but he understands that Naarad had met Arjun on the way.


Lord Krishna then requests Arjun; “At least scratch my wound with the Arch if not hand”.
Arjun obliges to the request as he sees no harm in this request.

On their (Arjun + Gopika) way back, they get attacked by Bhils and Arjun is defeated by them inspite of having the Gandiv and title of the best archer of all times.

The reason he gets defeated because Lord has taken his ‘Shakti’ (Power) back as Arjun’s role on earth is also coming to an end and no longer he needs to have the same prowess as earlier. (Source: https://ranjeetwalunj.wordpress.com/2008/07/30/samay-hot-balwaan-time-is-the-most-potent-and-powerful/)



4. And Rukshmani temple in the afternoon.

An interesting legend is narrated to justify separate dwelling temples, far away from each other, for Rukmini and her husband Krishna. It is said that at the request of sage Durvasa (who was renowned for his short temper and bestowing curses) Krishna and Rukmini pulled a chariot taking sage Durvasa to their house for dinner. On the way, when Rukmini asked for water to quench her thirst, Krishna drew Ganges water, by prodding the ground with his toe, for her to drink. Rukmini quenched her thirst with the Ganges water. But Durvasa felt insulted as Rukmini did not have the courtesy to offer him water to drink. He, therefore, cursed her that she would live separately from her husband. (Wikipedia)

5. Gomti ghat

6. To go to the opposite side of the Ghat, a foot bridge is now constructed – called Sudama setu. On the opposite side of the sangam, on the small island, there are 5 sweet water wells – associated with five pandavas – also known as panchkuti tirth. Nice place to spend an evening.

On the other side, there are 5 sweet water wells that are supposed to be the 5 rivers brought here by 5 rishis. The names of the rivers and rishis are mentioned on the small boards next to the wells. These wells may have been the initial reason for this city to be set up here. Right now, all you see are two small temples dedicated to Laxmi Narayan and Ambaji. Laxmi Narayan temple has an old Gufa and a marker saying the footprints of Pandavas or Pandav Charan. There are also the footprints of the 5 Rishis who brought the 5 rivers here. (Source: https://www.inditales.com/things-to-do-in-dwarka-city-gujarat/)

Other places of interest: Bhadkeshwar Mahadev temple, Sharda peeth.

Day-3: Dwarka to Bet-Dwarka to Harshad (Harsidhdhi) mata to Porbandar.

On the way to Bet-Dwarka, about 15 Km from Dwarka is a newly found beach – Shivrajpur beach – declared as one of the 10 blue beaches in India (I have visited four). A lot of efforts are being made to develop this beach. It has remained ‘blue beach’ because it is less frequently visited. Although the continental shelf is quite steep, a safe zone is marked for swimming and bathing.

Dwarka to Okha is about 35 Km. To reach Bet-Dwarka, one must take boat ride (bridge is under construction). It was never this chaotic and disorganized before. Private motorboats operate carrying 300-400 passengers at a time (must be 3-4 times the rated capacity of the boats). It takes about 20 minutes to cross the channel. People feed puffed rice and biscuits to birds hovering over the boat. Poor birds…….

To-and-from Be(y)t Dwarka can easily upset your travel timings as you are dependent on availability of the boat and boat will start only after 300-400 passengers are available.

On Beyt-Dwarka, we visited:

1. Bet-dwarkadhish temple

2. Hanuman dandi (Makardhwaj Hanuman temlple): Makardhwaj is the son of Hanuman ji. (Story of Ahi Ravana and Mahi Ravana)

Hanuman enters Patal Lok:

Hanuman in search of Sri Rama and Lakshmana enters the Patal Lok and locates the palace of Ahi and Mahi Ravan. To his astonishment he found that the palace being guarded by a vanara. As tried to enter the palace, he was challenged by the mighty vanara. Hanuman told the vanara that he would visit the palace once and go away. The vanara did not oblige. When Hanuman forcefully tried to enter the palace, the vanara stopped him and started to fight. From the technique used by the vanara and resistance he had shown for the strength and force applied by Hanuman, Hanuman felt that the vanara is not an ordinary vanara. Hanuman asked for his identification, to which the vanara told that he is son of great warrior Sri Hanuman of Ramasena. Hanuman was taken aback.

“Hanuman is a bachelor and how could you be his son?”
“Yes. My father Sri Hanuman does not know that I am his son. When my father visited Lanka in search of Sita mata, Ravan of Lanka had lit the fire in my father’s tail. It
did not burn the tail, instead he had burnt Lanka with it. After destroying Lanka, my father extinguished the fire by dipping the burning tail in the ocean. At that time a drop of sweat fell in the ocean which was swallowed by a crocodile . As a result of that I was born to the makara hence known as ‘Makardhwaj’. I was born in the kitchen of Rani Chandrasena. Then the compassionate Rani looked after me like a mother.” (Source: http://vayusutha.in/vs4/temple76.html)

3. Abhay mata mandir and 84-havana kunds: located a little further from Hanuman dandi.

Both, Hanuman dandi and Abhay mata mandir are about 5-6 Km from Bet-Dwarkadhish temple. Rikshaws are available.

From Bet-Dwarka / Okha to Harshad mata mandir (via Dwarka) is ~100 Km and it took only 1 ½ hrs as the road condition was excellent.

Harshidhhi Mata Temple also known as Harshal Mata Temple located at Gandhvi village, some 30 km away from Porbandar en route to Dwarka. The main temple was originally located on a hilltop facing the sea. It is said Krishna had worshiped her during his lifetime and has since been living atop hill called Koyla Dungar. The original temple atop the hill is said to have been built by Krishna himself. Krishna wanted to defeat the asuras and Jarasandha so he prayed to Amba Mata for power. With the blessings of the goddess, Krishna was able to defeat the Asuras. After this success, he built the temple. When Jarasandha was killed, all Yadavas over overjoyed (harshit) and they celebrated their success here. Hence the name Harshad Mata or Harsiddhi Mata. She has since been worshiped as kuldevi of Jadejas(Yadavs). (Wikipedia)

At Harshad, the temple on the hill (story of Jagadusha) was closed.

Jagdusha, the 13th century merchant from Kutch, is accredited for building a temple of goddess on Koyal hills near old port town of Miyani near Porbandar. His statue is also placed on the right side of the goddess in the temple. The legend associated with temple goes like this: The temple of goddess was on the hill overlooking the creek. It was believed that if the eyesight of goddess fell on the ship, it would be burnt or wrecked in the sea. The fleet of ships of Jagadu wrecked due to it but he was saved. Jagadu went to the temple and observed fast for three days to please the goddess. She appeared and Jagadu persuaded her to descend the hill so her eyes do not fall on ships. She agreed to acceded to his request if he would sacrifice a buffalo each step leading down the hill. Jagadu was perplexed as being follower of Jainism, he believed in non-violence. To keep his words, Jagadu brought buffaloes and sacrificed but the number fell short and the goddess was still few steps away from the new temple site. So he decided to sacrifice himself and his family. The goddess pleased for his devotion his family was brought back to life. She also granted boon that his line would not be extinguished.

From Harshad to Porbandar is 40 Km – 45 min. Again, excellent road.

As we reached Porbandar out skirts well in time, we decided to visit Jambuvanti Caves near Ranavav village (which was originally planned for Day-4).

Jambavati, a patronymic, means daughter of Jambavan.

Jambavan or Jambavat appears in the Hindu epic Ramayana as an advisor of the vanara-king Sugriva, who aided Rama, Krishna's previous humanly form. In the epic Mahabharata, Jambavan is introduced as Jambavati's father. The Bhagavata Purana and the Harivamsa calls him the king of bears.

Visvanatha Chakravarti mentions that while narrating this story, few devotees associated Jambavati with the girl that Jambavan offers to Rama. However, Rama, who is already married and has taken a vow to marry only once, politely refuses. Jambavati would marry Rama in his next birth. So, Rama marries Jambavati in his reincarnation as Krishna.

The marriage of Jambavati and Satyabhama to Krishna is closely linked with the story of Syamantaka, the precious jewel, which has its mention in the Vishnu Purana and the Bhagavata Purana. The precious jewel originally belonged to the Sun god Surya. Surya pleased with his devotee – the Yadava nobleman, Satrajit, gave him the dazzling diamond as a gift. When Satrajit returned to the capital city of Dwarka with the jewel, people mistook him for Surya because of his dazzling glory. Krishna, impressed by the lustrous stone, asked him to present the jewel to Ugrasena, Mathura's king and Krishna's grandfather, but Satrajit did not comply.

Subsequently, Satrajit presented Syamantaka to his brother Prasena, who was a counsellor. Prasena, who wore the jewel often, was attacked by a lion one day while hunting in the forest. He gets killed in a fierce battle and the lion flees with the jewel. The lion fails to retain the jewel though, as shortly after the battle, it enters Jambavan's mountain cave adobe, only to get killed. Jambavan, who seized the glittering jewel from the clutches of the lion gives it to his young son to play with.

Back in Dwarka, following the disappearance of Prasena, it was rumoured that Krishna, who had an eye on the Syamantaka jewel, had Prasena murdered and stolen the jewel. Krishna, who was accused of this false allegation, went out with other Yadavas in search of Prasena to establish his innocence by finding the jewel. He followed the trail that Prasena had taken and discovered the corpses of Prasena. He then followed the trail of the lion and reached the cave, where the dead lion was lying. Krishna told his fellow Yadavas to wait outside, while he entered the cave alone. Inside he saw a little child playing with the priceless jewel. As Krishna approached Jambavan's son, the child's nanny cried aloud, alerting Jambavan. The two then engaged in furious combat for 27–28 days (as per Bhagavata Purana) or 21 days (as per Vishnu Purana). As Jambavan gradually grew tired, he realized that Krishna was none other than his benefactor Rama from the Treta yuga. In gratitude and devotion to Krishna who spared his life, Jambavan gave up his fight and returned the jewel to Krishna. Jambavan offered his maiden daughter Jambavati in marriage to Krishna along with the Syamantaka jewel. Krishna accepted the proposal and married Jambavati. They then moved to Dwarka.

Meanwhile, Yadavas who accompanied Krishna to the cave had returned to the kingdom presuming Krishna as dead. Every member of the royal family had assembled to mourn his death. After returning to Dwarka, Krishna narrated the story of the recovery of the jewel and his marriage to Jambavati. He then returned the jewel to Satrajit in the presence of Ugrasena. Satrajit felt shy and ashamed to receive it as he had realized his error of judgment and his greediness. He then offered his daughter Satyabhama in marriage to Krishna along with the precious jewel. Krishna married Satyabhama, but refused the gem.

The Mahabharata and the Devi Bhagavata Purana narrate a story of the birth of Samba, Jambavati's chief son. Jambavati was unhappy when she realized that only she had not borne any children to Krishna while all other wives were blessed with many children. She approached Krishna to find a solution and to be blessed with a son like the handsome Pradyumna, Krishna's first-born son from his chief wife Rukmini. Then Krishna went to the hermitage of the sage Upamanyu in the Himalayas and as advised by the sage, he started to pray to the god Shiva. He did penance for six months in various postures; once holding a skull and a rod, then standing on one leg only in the next month and surviving on water only, during the third month he did penance standing on his toes and living on air only. Pleased with the austerities, Shiva finally appeared before Krishna as Samba, Samba, Ardhanarishvara the half-female-half-male form of the god, asked him to ask a boon. Krishna then sought a son from Jambavati, which was granted. A son was born soon thereafter who was named as Samba, the form Shiva had appeared before Krishna.

According to Bhagavata Purana, Jambavati was the mother of Samba, Sumitra, Purujit, Shatajit, Sahasrajit, Vijaya, Chitraketu, Vasuman, Dravida and Kratu. The Vishnu Purana says that she has many sons headed by Samba.

Samba mocks the sages by pretending to be a pregnant woman.

Samba grew up to be a nuisance to the Yadavas, Krishna's clan. His marriage to Lakshmana, the daughter of Duryodhana (the head of the Kauravas) ended up in his capture by Duryodhana. He was finally rescued by Krishna and his brother Balarama. Samba once pretended to be a pregnant woman and his friends asked some sages who will the child. Offended by the mischief, the sages cursed that an iron pestle will be born to Samba and will destroy the Yadavas. The curse came true leading to the death of Krishna's clan.

After the disappearance of Krishna, after the Yadu massacre, Jambavati along with Rukmini and few other ladies ascends herself on pyre. (Wikipedia)

In Porbandar we had three other places in mind to visit: Kirti mandir (birth place of Gandhi ji), Sudama mandir and Sandipani Ashram. We could manage Kirti mandir and Sudama mandir (they are close by) in the evening. We visited Sandipani Ashram next day morning.

Day-4: Porbandar to Somnath via Madhavpur: 140 Km, 3 hrs.

Before proceeding to Madhavpur-Somnath, from Sandipani Ashram, we took a detour of about 30 + 30 Km and visited Bileshwar Mahadev temple near Ranavav.

It is said that a Muslim army once captured the village and attempted to break the ling, but the ling burst of itself and hundreds of wasps issued therefrom and put the army to flight after killing many of them.

The origin of the Bileshwar Mahadev is attributed to Krishna. It seems that Satyabhama, one of Krishna's wives, asked him to procure for her the parijatak tree which only grows in Indra's garden. Krishna sent Narad muni to bring the tree from Indra, but he refused to part with it and challenged Krishna to fight with him. Krishna went to the garden where the tree was growing and took it. Fighting now ensued in heaven between Indra and Krishna, but when the sun set both the combatants rested on the Pariyatra mountain which is now called Barda hill. In the morning Krishna offered prayers to Ganga and the goddess issued out of a cave and was named by Krishna Bil-Ganga. Krishna now adored Shiva who instantly appeared and was much pleased with Krishna's worship and promised to fulfil his desires. Krishna then installed him at that spot and named him Bilvadakeshvar which has since been corrupted to Bileshwar. Others say that Krishna adored Shiv here with great devotion for seven months, and as he used to strew bili leaves on the symbol he called it Bileshwar.

Bileshwar is near the hills of ‘Bardo’ (Bardo dungar) – a low rising hill range near Porbandar. There are at least three other places of interest in this region: Ghumli (historical / archeological riuns), Kileshwar Mahadev temple (beautiful picnic place in the hills-forest) and Gop dungar (hill) (mythological - associated with Lord Krishna). I have fond memories of each of them, but could not include in the itinerary this time.

@ Madhavpur:

1. Madhav rai mandir

2. Rukshmani vivah / chori: Place where Rukshmani’s marriage with Lord Krishna took place. It is situated in the area known as Madhuvan.

3. Nag devta ni deri: near Rukshmani vivah chori. Nag is kul-devta of Buch family.

4. Madhavpur beach (we skipped as it was around 12 noon and sun was harsh).

@ Somnath:

· Somnath temple

· Triveni sangam: confluence of rivers Hiran, Kapila and the Saraswati. There are many places in India where there is confluence of three rivers.

· Golok dham (Dehotsarg): Dehotsarg Teerth is also known as Golak Dham Teerth, located near the Triveni Sangam. It is believed that Golok Dham is the place where God Shri Krishna took rest after walking from Bhalka Tirth where he was shot by an arrow. The complex of Golak Dham Teerth consists of many other temples like Gita Mandir, Lakshmi Narayan Temple, Bhimnath Temple, Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Balram ki Gufa etc. But the main attraction is Shri Krisha Charan Paduka.

Day-5: Somnath to Diu: 90 Km, 3 Hrs.

Again, the road from Somnath to Diu is nothing but potholes. It took 3 hrs to drive 90 Km.

Diu island, once a Portuguese colony and now part of Diu-Daman-Dadra Nagar Haveli Union territory, is separated from Gujarat by less than 500 m of sea. On Gujarat side, there is a beautiful beach – Ghoghla beach – one of the 10 blue beaches of India.

@ Diu:

· Diu fort

· St. Paul’s Church

· Khukri Memorial

· Nagoa beach

· Jalandhar beach

Day-6: Diu to Junagadh via Tulsishyam (165 Km, 4 ½ Hrs)

Diu to Junagadh via Talala - Sasan is slightly shorter (150 Km), but we wanted to go to Tulsishyam. Tulsishyam is on Una – Dhari road. The road passes through Gir National Park from Kansari to Timbarva. Vehicle movement is allowed only between 9 am and 6 pm. There are strict speed restrictions for vehicles. It is impossible to drive at more than 20 kmph due to bumps put up by the forest department. Sighting of wildlife including Lions is not infrequent. We could see deer twice.

There are two temples at Tulsishyam – one of Krishna (Shyam) and one of Rukshmani devi on the hilltop (400 steps). There are also hot-water springs. Tuslishyam is a beautiful location. It is said that there is anti-gravity hill ½ km from Tulsishyam where vehicles move against gravity – we didn’t know about it. (List of Gravity-hills in India)

Junagadh:

On the Girnar mountain, there is a temple of Ambaji which was accessible through steps only (5000 steps). Now with the construction of ropeway, it has become very easy to go to Ambaji and it takes only about 10 min. But the charm is lost. Now more time is spent in the cafeteria than in the temple.

Junagadh city has many tourist attractions and need two full days: Uperkot fort, Sakkarbaug zoo, Narinh Mehta no choro, Inscriptions of Ashoka, Bhavnath taleti, Damodar kund, Girnar hills, Mahabat Maqbara, Datar hills, Wellingdon dam, Khapra Kodia’s caves etc.

Day-7: @ Jetpur:

Visited Bhidbhanjan Mahadev temple and Khodal dham.

Day-8: Return to Gandhinagar with darshan at Virpur-Jalaram.

Saurashtra is full of places of historical and mythological interest. Earlier what I said that it requires 3-4 weeks is perhaps an under-estimate.

In this blog I have embedded the following links for additional reading:

Kathiawad, (Map).

Jamnagar

Bala Hanuman temple

Lakhota Lake, Also The Lakhota Lake

Dwarka

Dwarkadhish temple (and Tulabhar)

Story of Tulabhar(am)

Nageshwar jyotirlinga

Gopi talav

Rukshmani temple

Gomti ghat

Panchkuti tirth

Shivrajpur beach

Blue beaches

Beyt-Dwarka

Hanuman dandi (Makardhwaj Hanuman temlple)

Harshad mata mandir

Story of Jagadusha

Jambuvanti Caves

Kirti mandir

Sudama mandir

Sandipani Ashram

Bileshwar Mahadev temple

Ghumli

Kileshwar

Gop

Madhav rai mandir

Somnath temple

Confluence of three rivers

Diu fort

List of Gravity-hills in India

Junagadh


Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 46


Advertisement



Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb