Goa Temples


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa
March 14th 2005
Published: March 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Small temple Small temple Small temple

This one is a small village temple.
I am just back from that serene, relaxing and yet magestic Goa. What a marvelous place on earth. Pity, its only now being recognised as a holiday destination in the recent times.

Goa has got just about every thing - Beautiful beeches on the west coast, sumptuous sunset to keep you enchanted, Coconut palm sprinkeled landscape, small and yet imposing hills, water sports like surfing and jet skies, great restuarents to please the connousiers and very very friendly and laid-back people permitting the forginers to mix and mingle wihtout any fear or restrainment.

As if these were not enough - a group of dolphins engaged in the never ending chase of fleeing schools of fish will keep you captivated. If you want some more then you can go to watch the sleek and agile birds in the bird santuary and to top it up - go on a crocodile spotting trip with 'Jake the snake' fellow in his little boat, into the back waters of Goa.

GOA TEMPLES

Goan temples are very similar to other Hindu temple archetectures of India. If one looks closer then you will find subtle differences unique to the local culture. But then
A Big templeA Big templeA Big temple

Inner city temple, a large one.
that applies to every temple in India.

Just follow the images to get an idea of the temples in Goa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

13th centuary temple13th centuary temple
13th centuary temple

Under renovation by archelogical dept. A little one out on its own at the out skirts of Goa.
Small street templeSmall street temple
Small street temple

These ones are every where and ubiqutous. Small and compact just to cater for the local area.
Temple pondTemple pond
Temple pond

Temple ponds are a feature of large temples. Hindus believe these pond waters are holy and dipping in it cleanse your soul. Well that the idea anyway. However most of the temple ponds are dirty and filthy. How can anyone expect to be cleansed by dirty water is beyond reasoning. People believe their soul is cleansed even though their bodies get dirty and filthy !!!
Another view of a small templeAnother view of a small temple
Another view of a small temple

The blue structure is for a traditional temple plant called Thulasi. Most of the hindu houses will have a thulasi plant holder like this one. Thulasi plant has some medicinal values and they also smell good.
Ornamental pillars Ornamental pillars
Ornamental pillars

These Ornamental pillars commonly found outside the main temple but with in the campus.
Lord Ganesha Lord Ganesha
Lord Ganesha

The elephant God of Hindus. The most beloved God of all the Gods of Hindus. The myth is - his father chopped off his head in a fit of anger due to his mischeif. So Dad, got hold of an elephant head and fixed him up. Hence the elephant head and human body !!!!!. Well Mythys are myths - just that. One should not try to reason with it.
Hanuman - the monkey GodHanuman - the monkey God
Hanuman - the monkey God

Monkey God !. Well, Hiduism is very much into the concept of live and let live. And so the inclusion of various animals into the realm of Gods. Hanuman is the mokey god, Eagle is the carrier of God Vishnu, Snake adorns as necklace of God Shiva, the humble mouse becomes the carrier vehichle of the Elephant God Ganesha, Peacock is the carrier of God Muruga ect. Fascinating concept and it works very very well. Well Mythys are myths - just that. One should not try to reason with it.
Paintings Paintings
Paintings

Some more paintings of different Gods. This one is God Vishnu with 4 hands !
GorgoylesGorgoyles
Gorgoyles

Its common to find this type of frightening images of evil monsters in the temple paintings and carvings. I am not sure whats the significance of them. Nevertheless no one questions about them as why such gory images are necessary. Life goes on.
Oil lamp similar to candlesOil lamp similar to candles
Oil lamp similar to candles

These oil lamps are a must like the candles in the churches.
Pillar carvingsPillar carvings
Pillar carvings

Beautiful carvings on a pillar.
Small shrine Small shrine
Small shrine

These one are dedicated to God Sani. The custom is to pray him for offsprings. Apparently he delivers a fine looking healthy baby !
AltarAltar
Altar

In the altar - the main God for whom the temple is built, will be found. It could be God Shiva, God vishnu/Krishna, Or any other Gods from the myriad of Hindu pantheon of Gods.


1st January 2011
Lord Ganesha

om ganesha nam ha
i love lord ganesha very much

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb