Beach Cows & Fishing for Lunch


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa
March 5th 2009
Published: March 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

15th December 2008

Another day at the beach and another walk to the Calangute steps. This time we were accompanied by the local herd of beach cows, I still haven’t got use to seeing these sacred cows just strolling and taking in the sun and sand with the rest of us, it’s very surreal. Pili took photos of me just strolling and talking with my favourite cows.

17th December 2008

At 8:30am Ranjit knock the door as we’d arranged a fishing trip with Neil this morning. This was a tough call for me as I’d decided not to fish again, today I’d decided to make an exception because one we’re going to take our catch back to Bobbies Shack and have the fish cooked for lunch. Secondly I really like spending time with these guys and I knew we where going to have a scream while together at sea. The fishing trip lasted 4hrs, we caught several small rock fish, Ranjeet caught the most, we took the piss constantly out of each other and soaked up the sun.

We spotted several pods of dolphins also. I at one point ended up screaming a tourist dolphin tour boat for approaching the pod way too fast. They have trouble understanding that these are shy creatures and if a ten seated boat powers towards them at full speed the dolphins will vacate the area which is no good for the tourists or more importantly the dolphins.

On returning to shore we had our catch cooked for lunch, I wasn’t that impressed, all the fish were very bony, we should have just released them!

In the evening we all met up again at the bar for drinks. Neal and French cut John ended up singing rugby and drinking songs, all hilarious and I filmed several performances. (Note to John and Neil, all silence money can be sent to my UK address or you’ll become YOUTUBE stars)

On the way back to the apartment we ran into a couple of new friends. Noodles and Mama Noodles. These are two of the dogs we’ve kind of adopted, both mother and daughter are always very excited and vocal when the see us. We gave them hugs and squeezes and then they escorted us home. The name noodles comes from the first night we went to our favourite Chinese resturaunt ‘The Sea Shore’, we’d ordered too many noodles and took them home with us. This is also the first night we ran into the dogs and I gave them the take away, hence Pili naming them Noodles.

18th December 2008

This morning Pili, Ranjit and I walked along the beach to the Calangute steps and through the market area to the bus station to price up some day trips. The bus station has a very large old Banyan Tree in the center; I’d estimate it being at least 400yrs old.

We soon retreat out of the intense heat and find a bar called ‘Baba’, we sink a cold one and then head back to Bobbies and then back to the apartment to shower and change.

In the evening we ended back at Bobbies Shack with Ranjit, French cut John and Sam and Neil. We were entertained by three Indian children who to earn a few rupees were going around the beach bars singing Christmas carols. One of the kids wore a Santa outfit and a mask; he was a scary little Santa so we gave them cash to go away. I just can’t get my head around it
I love this photoI love this photoI love this photo

I walked with these cows a couple of times a week
being Christmas and we’re in India!!!!

After spending a great evening with our superb new friends Pili, Ranjit and I walked back to the apartment. Pili crashed and I stayed up with Ranjit, a bottle of Honey Bee brandy and we then proceeded to set the World to rights until 3am.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The FishermenThe Fishermen
The Fishermen

Ranjit, Neal and yours truly
I wish we'd have thrown them backI wish we'd have thrown them back
I wish we'd have thrown them back

I never did like faces on my plate!


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb