Searching for peace


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Daman & Diu
November 22nd 2005
Published: December 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Having had enough of the crowds, pollution, noise and hassle we came to Diu to take it easy for a couple of days. While approaching Diu we didn't notice any difference to rest of the India but just when we arrived to Diu it all changed. It was cleaner, greener, quieter and less crowded. We stayed in Magico do Mar, a hotel by the beach just outside Diu. We got a nice cottage next to the beach, which was quiet and beautiful. Just like we had dreamed of.

Diu is a small island, around 20km in length, just off the coast. Diu is its own state and whereas in Gujarat alcohol is prohibited, it is allowed in Diu. Diu is a holiday destination for Indians but there are not so many western tourists. Diu used to belong to Portuguese and you can still see it in the houses and the fort.

We spent several days doing nothing. We just layed on the beach in the shadow, looking at the ocean, reading and listening to music. And it was a perfect place for doing just that.

For couple of days we rented a motorbike and drove around the island. When renting the bike we asked for helmets but got the answer "no helmets - no problem". So we didn't have helmets but neither did we have any problems, the island is small and there is little traffic. Bike was a perfect way to see the island, and cheap too, just four euros a day. We drove to the fort, the beaches and the villages.

Diu was a perfect place to relax and just what we needed. Definitely a place where we will go back one day. We still had a couple more days in India and now we were ready for it so we took a night bus back to Ahmedabad.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



5th December 2005

See you in Goa?
Hi Kirsi, maybe we will meet in Goa if it hits your journey in India between 16th-22nd of December...Take care!
15th December 2005

Missing the sun
Hi Kirsi... looking so good. Seems like you are having a fantastic trip. Enjoy it! Have to admit that I am getting green of jealousy when reading your stories... I want to go as well. I wanna, I wanna!!! At least now when there is not that much sun here up north. :)

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 100; dbt: 0.0902s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb