Tawang: The High Road To Adventure.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Arunachal Pradesh » Tawang
March 20th 2008
Published: March 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It's not the longest trek, but is an un-spoilt and idyllic neighborhood in North East India. And, like all great journeys, it leaves images of beauty in the mind and vestigial memories of pain in the hamstrings. It's Tawang, named from the horse of Reverend Mera Lama Lodre Gyatso, the founder of Tawang Monastery in the seventeen-century. According to village elders, Tawang was blessed (Wang) by the horse (Ta) choosen by it.

The town at an elevation ranging between 6,000 to 22,000 feet hugs the borders of China, Bhutan. The track itself is never far from the Himalayan summits, which is in view for most of the time the walk takes. It's very steep, starting from Dhirang, an ancient village with a ruined fortress and ends at Tawang.

The track is marked at intervals by stones with religious inscriptions, a picturesque farming village with unadulterated country life, natural water channels, grazing yaks, horses and snow dressed mountains. The track hugs the cliffs and snakes along the sides of Himalayan summits which soar into the sky. It's not a comfortable walk for those who suffer from vertigo. On gentler slopes there are villages where you can experience locals trading, gossiping, gambling and smoking with traditional attire.

Although the walk is not easy, because of the frequent steep climbs, it is perfect for those who want to do it in stages. If one likes he or she can take plenty of freedom to take things at ones own pace or do things on ones own.

We stop at intermediate villages for a rest, or refreshment - or even for the night if necessary. There are roadways in between which shorten the walk as we hop in to our vehicles, if required.

Only dedicated walkers would do the return trip the same way. The logical, and most popular, means of returning is by road.

In my words, Tawang remains the perennial favourite amongst the people bitten by the adventure bug. I believe that scenery needs to be experienced, not seen through a bus window.

I will take you into the remote grandeur of Himalayas, and hike miles into the wilderness with sceneries you didn’t think existed in real life. Most importantly, our emphasis is on exceeding your expectations. If you’re looking for an active, well organized, and unforgettable way to experience Tawang, you can count on me.

In addition, four major trekking routes have been identified in Arunachal Pradesh namely - Pashighat-Jengging-Yinkiong, Bhalukpung-Bomdila-Tawang, Roing-Mayodia-Anini and Tezu-Hayliang.

The first trek starts from the plains of Siang and leads through the thick forest area. The route is a photographer's delight and also a promising tract for catch and release Mahaseer angling.

The second route passes through the Tipi orchidarium to Bomdila. It crosses the crest of the Sela Pass at 14,000 ft. above sea level which runs through a small ridge and along a placid lake called the Paradise Lake. All through the way, the Kameng river roaring down the hill provides excellent scope for angling, trekking and hiking.

The third trekking route located in the Dibang valley district with its highest peak at Mayudia (2443 mtrs.) on the way to Anini, has a picturesque beauty with a unique topography, floral and faunal diversity and a favorable natural setting. The main tourist trekking spots are Mehao lake sanctuary and boating in Salley Lake.

The hills in the Tezu-Hayuliang route are rich in flora and fauna. A large number of migratory species of birds visit this region from the Sino-Himalayan area during the winter. The route is ideal for hiking, trekking and bird watching.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb