Rubbing shoulders with royalty


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh
April 29th 2014
Published: May 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Morning everyone, and welcome to my latest travel update. So yesterday we were in Alipura which is about a 2.5 hour journey from Orchha.



This morning we had a gentle start and left our hotel around 9 am. Firstly we visited Jahinger Maha. According to popular belief the building was constructed for Jahagir reception by Veer Singh. It was built as a present but only used for one day and one night as the person for whom it was built went to Lahore which is now part of Pakistan, and died there. In Hindu tradition if you give something to someone you cannot ask for it back or use the thing yourself so it was never used again and left abandoned.



We then drove to,our new location. We are staying in a hotel owned and run by the royal family of this region . The king is staying here at the moment and may come to join us at breakfast to say hello! We did actually see him on our way out round the village but we didn't recognise him as he was speaking to one of the locals in the sitting room we had to walk through. He still sees the locals to,help,soer out their problems which I think is lovely and a reflection on him as a person. Oh and he has a 27 year old son who is single!



The hotel is I fact the palace itself and has been converted into a small hotel. At lunch we were discussing our rooms and the difference between them all as it seemed no two were the same. So after lunch we took the grand tour lol. Steph and Chris almost had an apartment! It had a large entrance hall with a beautiful inlaid floor, huge bathroom terrace off the bedroom. Then they had found a stair case which led up tithe roof so they could appreciate the views of the local area.



Dushyant had a massive and I mean massive room with twin beds, a walk in closet and huge bathroom. The billiard room adjoined his room but on on this occasion it was locked. He knew this as he had stayed there on previous visits.



Laytoya had a twin room, again with a balcony, walk in closet but smaller bathroom.



Mary and I had a good size twin room with balcony and bathroom. All,rooms of course came with air conditioning - it's hot here by the way currently between 40 to 45 degrees in the day and about 32 degrees in the evening.



So we had a tour round the village to meet the locals and learn some more about the local way of life and traditions. As always very interesting and informative and the locals, especially the kids are so hospitable and like to say hello. We went by the temple and the priest gave us some holy sugar lumps (just like eating a sweet in the UK) as blessing. We also saw the villagers using the wells to fill up their big silver pots to take water back to their homes.



When we got back to the hotel,we had a game of cricket. Now those of you who know me well will be aware of my total inability to throw, catch or hit a ball! Needless to say that god given talent is still with me today and caused many a comedy moment and raptures of laughter. I think the group thought I was making it up,or just didn't want to play but now they have witnessed by lack of hand eye coordination they know to pick me last if we chad to choose teams to play any ball games lol.



So today we are off to see the karma sutra paintings and this afternoon we are off on a safari so I hope to update my blog tonight pending wifi being available.



Have a good day everyone

X

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb