2nd Day in Hydrabad


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad
July 1st 2007
Published: July 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Inside Golcanda Fort Inside Golcanda Fort Inside Golcanda Fort

The 400 year old fort
Entry by Debbie: Our second day in Hydrabad started off with a great breakfast and a visit to Golconda Fort. The fort is over 400 years old and in an area with a great mix of Hindu and Muslim influence. We climbed the stairs to the top of the fort where we tried to get Rachel to smile for some photos. She finally did after we told her that we'd climb even higher if she didn't smile. Lydia needed a bathroom lesson today because she wasn't quite sure what to do when no toilet exists but she got the hang of it and then told me she'd rather pee in the grass. Not an option for little girls.

We make quite a scene and get lots of stares from adults and lots of chatter when we walk by groups of children. After we left the fort, we headed to the Charminar Bazaar. This bazaar is where the Masjid mosque was bombed about four weeks ago. We took some pictures of the mosque but the hustle and bustle continues. We were immediately overwhelmed with many people wanting to sell us everything from bangles to silk scarves. This apparently is the
Smiling RachelSmiling RachelSmiling Rachel

Jan Mason, this one is for you
bangle capital of India. We are heading back there tomorrow because we didn't have enough rupees to stay very long today. That was pretty funny, the Americans without any money. Anyway, there are blocks and blocks of store stalls with bangles (I've never seen so many bangles in so many colors), silk scarves and wool scarves, instruments, pearls, and wonderful colorful saris everywhere. I'm trying to convince Lydia to buy one of these colorful outfits and I think I finally convinced her...perhaps tomorrow!

Crossing the street is an adventure here since there aren't many if any rules for crossing the street and RAchel has taken to holding someone's hand when crossing. No more talk about being afraid to cross Columbia Pike. Lots of laughter from the locals when our family crosses the street. We think Nam will have to start handing out autographs and signing Jackie Chan, don't know but they may watch alot of Jackie Chan movies because alot of people think or at least they say Jackie Chan to Nam.

Henry is a little under the weather - maybe he's got Delhi belly. Hopefully, he'll be feeling better tomorrow!

Namaste'




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Masjd MosqueMasjd Mosque
Masjd Mosque

This Mosque was bombed 4 weeks ago.
Bangles bangles everywhere!!Bangles bangles everywhere!!
Bangles bangles everywhere!!

Rachel and Debiie haggling for Bangles


1st July 2007

I love reading the updates... glad to see everyone is doing well and has learned to go to the bathroom!!!
1st July 2007

LOL
How funny that is -- Nam is Jackie Chan! It sounds like the Dunbar-Hills are having a wonderful time. I love this blog idea. I find myself looking for your next entry. Love the picture of Rachel...absolutely beautiful! Continue to have a wonderful time! Henri' -- I hope you feel better.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0891s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb