OLD COUPLES YATRA TO HOLY HILLS (2)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad » New Santoshnagar
April 11th 2010
Published: April 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

OLD COUPLES YATRA TO HOLY HILLS (2)

21st JANUARY, 2010 - Thursday.

Enjoying the ride in the forest of Nallamalai, we reached Srisailam Guest House maintained by the Devasthanam by 2-00 p,m., crossing the Brdige across Patala Ganga Krishna River connecting Brahma Giri and Vishnu Giri. The Patala Gana, a very deep gorge, is formed between Brahma Giri, Vishnu Giri and Rudra Giri. Earlier it is the abode for Crocodiles. Before construction of the Dam, this area on Brahma Giri side is known as Lingala Gattu, where the Silas are known as Shiva Lingas which were taken and installed in several of the Shiva Temples in Andhra Pradesh and elsewhere. The Puranas say that Brahmagiri is the destroyed Chandragupta Nagar (historically said to be the grandson of King Samudra Gupta), whose daughter Chandravati worshipped Lord Mallikarjuna. It is said to be a cursed city because of bad action of Chandra Gupta. Presently chenchu tandas Domala Penta and Egala Penta are the villages on Brahma Giri. On Vishnu Giri are the Electrical Sub-Stations and Sunni Penta village where offices of Electricity and PWD are existed. Rudragiri is the abode of Lord Mallikarjunaswamy and Devi Bhramaramba and the Offices, Guest Houses, Cottages, etc., of Devasthanam are situated.

Before reaching Srisailam temple, on the way there is the temple of Sakshi Ganapathi. The Sakshi Ganapathi icon is very beautiful and shows that Ganapati is recording the names of visitors to Srisailam. One has to visit this temple first and take the blessings of Ganapati for a successful yatra to Srisailam. After Sakshi Ganapati Temple, 2 kms away is the temple of Srisailam Kotwal Bayalu Veerabhadraswamy. As the Icon of Veerabhadra is outside the temple without any roof, it is known as Baita Veerabhadra who protects the yatris to Sri Sailam. Inside the temple, there are Siddi Vinayaka and Ratna Garbha Vinakaya icons.

By the side of Vruddha Mallikarjunaswamy temple, there is the famous three-in- one Tree - Ravi, Medi and Juvvi. This tree is said to be in existence since times immemorial. We have seen that the old tree had gone because of age and a combination of the above three-trees came into existence about 20 years back. There is also a Jammi Tree on north-eastern side of the temple complex. There are several small temples along side of the Prakaram such as Umamaheswara Icon, Raja Rajeswari Icon, etc.

As we have reserved two rooms in Ganga Sadanam of Devasthanam, from Hyderabad, we immediately occupied the rooms and had lunch in the restaurant attached to the Guest House. In the evening we proceeded to the temple - first to the temple Sri Bhramarambika Devi, had darshan and met the Veda Pandits Shri Ganesh, Shri Sarad Desh Mukh and Shri Ramakrishna with whom I have acquaintance since a long time. We participated in the evening Haratis, Veda Parayana and Svasti Mantras in the presence of the Goddess. Later we visited the temple of Lord Mallikarjuna Swamy and had the darsan of the Jyotirlingam. I have Sasvata Kalyanam facility on January 22nd of every year, the next day, and Mr.V.K also intended to perform Kalyanam but it is stated that the tickets will be issued only the next day. After spending till 8 pm in the temple premises we returned to our Guest house and took rest for the day. Next day morning, Mr.V,K purchased Kalyanam ticket.

SRI PARVATAM - SRISAILAM HILL

Hasthe kurangam, Giri Madhya rangam,
Srungari tangam, murtheym gangam,
Madananga bhangam, Srisaila Lingam
Sirasannamami.

Srisailam holy Jyotirlinga Shiva shrine known as Mallikarjuna Swamy is a Svayambhu Lingam and is in existence since times immemorial. Its existence is mentioned in Krita Yugam, Treta Yugam and Dvapara Yugam also. In Krita Yugam, the Shri Sailam Hill (shirine) is said to be Puja Mandir of Hiranyakasipa. In Treta Yugam, Sri Rama visited this shrine and installed a Sahasra Linga in the Court yard (by the side of Vruddha Mallikarjuna Siva Lingam); so also Sri Sita Devi another Sahasra Lingam near the entrance to the Bhramaramba Temple. In Dvapara Yugam, Pandavas visited this temple and installed five Shiva Lingas in the Courtyard of the temple which are known in their names. In Kali Yuga, while performing any puja, homam or abhishekam we mention the direction of Srisailam in our Sankalpam. Sri Parvatam or Srisailam is also the abode of Siddha Nagarjuna who said to have perfected the art of making Gold through Rasa Siddhi and also a great Ayurveda Doctor using the divine shrubs available on Srisailam Hills. Adi Sankaracharya visited this place and performed penance near Pala Dhara and Pancha Dhara. It is said that Kapalikas, a chenchu tribe, demanded the head of Adi Sankaracharya and Lord Lakshmi Narasimhaswamy appeared and killed the Kapalikas. The ‘Lakshmi Narasimha Karavalamba Strotram’ is said to have been written by Adi Sankaracharya on this occasion here. It is also said that the Sri Chakram in front of Bhramaramba Devi was installed by Adi Sankaracharya.

The History and Inscrptions state that Reddi Kings in 13th and 14th centuries constructed the Veeramandapam in between Garbha Griham and Nandi Mandapam. It is stated that Veera Shaivas (known as Kongaviras) in their religious fervour used to cut off their tongues and heads to merge in Lord Mallikarjuna. The inscrptions also state that steps were built to Patala Ganga during this period. These steps were beautifully renovated by the Devasthanam during Krishna Pushkar period about a decade ago. Presently a Ropeway was also built from Rudra Giri to Patala Ganga. Nandi Mandapam is the abode of Nandeeswara called as Basavanna, a huge rock-bull icon of Nandeeswara. King Krishnadevaraya of Vijayanagaram and Chatrapati Shivaji visited this temple and constructed Gopurams to the Temple Prakarams. There is a statue near Kalyana Mandapam showing that Bhramaramba blessing Shivaji with a Khadgam. There are two three Kundams - Mallikarjuna and Manohara Gundams; one can see the reflection of Sikharam of the temple in the Mallikarjuna Gundam. During British Period, the temple management was entrusted to Pushpa Giri Sankara Matham.

Dt.22nd January, 2010 - FRIDAY.

By 8 pm we visited the temple and had performed the Abhishekam of Vruddha Mallikarjuna Swamy and Kumkumpuja to Bhramaramba Devi as part of Sasvata Kalyana Package. In the evening we performed Kalya Mahotsavam of Lord Mallikarjuna and Goddess Bhramaramba Devi. More than 60 couples participated in today’s Kalyanam. The Devastahanam presents, a jacket piece, a Kanduva with the inscription of Namassivaya, Laddus and Pulihora and Talambralu rice as Kalyana Mahotsava Prasadam. By 9-30 pm we returned to our Lodge.

PUJAS IN SRISAILAM NOW AND THEN

I am visiting Srisailam since 1988 almost regularly. Then Abhishekam is performed to Mallikarjuna Jyotirlingam by pilgrims with the Patala Ganga brought by them. The Abhishekam ticket for the Jyotirlingam is about Rs.22 with the priest reciting Namakam. Nowadays the ticket is more than Rs.500 and Namakam is not fully recited by the priests. A very mad rush and deterioration in performance of Pujas and Abhishekam. Everywhere it is money, money, money. Chandi Homam in Bhramaramba temple is performed in 45 minutes - charging about Rs.500/. If one reads Sapta Sati clearly, it takes neary two hours; but reciting Sapta Sati, the Homam will be completed in less than an hour! It is profession to the priests and money to Devasthanam. It is the devotion of the Pilgrim that is sustaining the tradition. The temple authorities take pride in increasing the revenues of Devasthanam and not systematically providing the Puja, Homam and Abhishekams. They think that it is their intelligence that is increasing the revenues forgetting that it is the devotees who are offering their might to the Lord. This sort of things happen only in Hindu temples managed by the Government. In Hinduism there is a system for performing a Puja or Abhishekam or a Homam. That is seldom followed in the temples though they are the custodians of Hinduisim. When questioned, the Priests and Ghanapatis say that on account of heavy pilgrims turn out, there is no time left for proper performance of Pujas. The temples are to be visited only for their importance of Icons and the Sthala Mahatyam. If one wishes to perform Homams, or Abhishekams or Pujas systematically, they should be performed at their homes only.

Independent cottages were available then for Rs.25; now all cottages have been converted into residential quarters of employees of Devasthanam and a room in Ganga Sadan costs about Rs.500. Previously one can enter the temple premises freely and sit in a corner and pray God or recite strotras. Now entering the temple premises is a very big exercise; security people won’t allow into the temple premises unless you have some arjita seva ticket. Courtesy towards devotees is the last thing to be seen in employees, priests and security personnel.

Dt.23rd January, 2010 - Saturday.

Having obtained the blessings of Lord Mallikarjuna Swamy and Bhramaramba Devi, we started our onward journey at 9 am. Our next destination is Maha Nandi in Nallamalai Hills, which is known as Nandi Mandalam. We travelled via Shikharam; had the darshanm of Shikhareswar, Dornala, and Atmakur forest to Nandyala and from there to Maha Nandi. The entire journey is in the forest area and it is very pleasant to travel in a forest enjoying the trees and nature in its original form.

OM TAT SAT OM TAT SAT OM TAT SAT
*****************************************************************

RAGHAVARAO U.V.G.V. DUGGIRALA,
HYDERABAD, Dt.11th APRIL, 2010.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb