OLD COUPLES' KASHI-YATRA VIA KHAJURAHO


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad » New Santoshnagar
October 25th 2009
Published: October 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

OLD COUPLES’ KASI- YATRA VIA KHAJURAHO (1).

Some of the Old Couples (those who have retired from Service/ Business) and would be Old Couples (those who are retiring shortly) who have read my travel blog ‘Jyotirlinga Tour of an Old Couple’ have sent emails expressing their appreciation of the details furnished and requested me to put in the travel blog any of my earlier pilgrimages to Punya Kshetras so that they would be a guide for future pilgrims. This request, along with my having no other work and plenty of time at disposal, prompted me to recollect and put it in writing the details of my earlier pilgrimage to Prayag, Kasi, Ayodhya, Naimisaranyam, Gaya, etc. This pilgrimage I have undertaken in the year 2007. Another couple Mrs. & Mr. V.K. Voruganti, who are my friends and colleague in Service have participated in this pilgrimage.

This pilgrimage was also undertaken in Maruti WagonR in my self driving, starting from Hyderabad. Before starting the pilgrimage, we the four participants along with another old couple friends Mrs.& Mr.Vruddhulas’ (Retired from RBI), performed Rudrabhishekam and Rudra Homam at our house for successful completion of the pilgrimage.

18th September, 2007 - Tuesday.

I have started at 5-40 am from my house and on the way picked up Mrs.& Mr. Vks from their residence at Narayanguda. By 8-00 am we reached Kamareddy and stopped there for breakfast. After breakfast we proceeded direct to Nagpur via Dichpalli, Nirmal, Ichora, Adilabad, Karanji, Hinganghat, Buti Bori and reached Nagpur by 5 pm travelling a distance of 495 km. On the way we had lunch at Adilabad. Mr.V.K made arrangements for overnight stay at his friend Mr.C.N. Patel’s house at Nagpur. Mr.C.N. Patel is a leading Chartered Accountant in Nagpur and he was waiting on the main road to take us to his house. After freshening up and a brief rest Mr.C.N. Patel took us to City Club and we spent there till 8-30 pm. Later we returned to his House for dinner and Mrs. Patel prepared very delicious items for our dinner. Mr.& Mrs.Patel are very kind Hosts and were very happy at our visit to their house.

19th September, 2007 - Wednesday.

After a tasty breakfast prepared by Mrs. Patel and her daughter-in-law, we started our onward journey at 9 am. Our destination for the day was Pachmarhi, a Hill Station in Madhya Pradesh. This tourist place was recommended by my friend Mr.PBR (another old couple friend and a colleague settled in Vijayawada and interested in piligrimage to religious places) who earlier made a visit to this place on his way to Khajuraho. We proceeded to Pachmarhi via Saoner, Chhindwara, Parasia and Tamia. Near Saoner we visited a temple of Hanuman (a diversion on left hand side of the main road at a distance of 7 km). The Hanuman statue is under a Pipal tree in lying position. There were many pilgrims in the temple worshipping Lord Hanuman. The road between Saoner and Tamia was worst with pot holes. The road was dug for laying a new road and filled with kankar. We had to travel at a low speed fearing breakdown to the car at any moment. In fact son-in-law of Mr.CN Patel advised us to keep spare tubes in reserve as it would be very difficult to get any repairer on the way to Pachmarhi if there is any puncture to the Tyre. Fortunately, without any breakdown we reached Pachmarhi by 5 pm and directly proceeded to Hotel Indraprastha Bhavan, recommended by Mr.PBR. After reaching the Hotel there was very heavy rain and we enjoyed the atmosphere of the Hill Resort from our Hotel.

Pachmarhi is a Hill Station in Madhya Pradesh, located in Satpura Range of Hills. This Hill Station is so beautiful it is called Satpura ki Rani or Queen of Satpura. We decided to engage a taxi next day morning for visiting the important places in Pachmarhi instead of going in our Car enquiring at each and every stage the route to the place. We found out that a Jeepwallah is ready for taking us to the places of interest at a charge of Rs.400/-.

20th September, 2007 - Thursday.

By 9 am we were ready taking our breakfast and the Jeepwallah-cum-Guide promptly came at 9 am. He has taken us to Mahadeo Hill where there was a beautiful Shiva Temple in a cave. On the other side of the Hill there is an excellent cave shelter with beautiful cave painings. There were also some Sadhus/Bairagis/Sannyasins meditating on Shiva. From there he has taken to the junction of valleys from where we could see the bottom of the valley through telescopes provided there, at a charge of Rs.5. From there the Guide has taken us to a beautiful park where there were five caves on a Hillock known as Pandava Caves. It is said that Pachmarhi has taken its name on account of existence of these five Pandava Caves. The legend say that these caves provided shelter to Pandavas in their Aranyavasam period. From there he has taken us to another park where we have spent some time. Nearby there was also a Church. After visiting these places we had taken lunch in a Restaurant and returned to our Hotel and took rest till evening. In the evening we went in our Car to a lake and had a boat ride for about 1 hour.





PANDAVA CAVES

THE CHURCH BUILT IN1892

A BEAUTIFUL VALLEY
Later we returned to the Hotel and took rest witnessing the T20 matches live broadcast in the T V. Hotel Indraprastha Bhavan is a Budget Hotel providing good accommodation at reasonable rates. We negotiated the rent at Rs.350 per double room (off season rate). Phone Nos.07578-252353, 252953. (Total distance travelled so far 761 km. From Nagpur, Pachmarhi is at a distance of 266 km).

21st September, 2007 - Friday.

We started at 8-10 am from Pachmarhi and our next destination was Bhedaghat near Jabalpur. Bhedaghat village is situated on the banks of River Narmada, the abode of Shiva Saligramams. We reached Bhedaghat by 2 pm and stayed in Hotel River View (a Hotel constructed recently - Rs.600 per double room) facing the River Narmada from the balcony of our Room. The room boy cooked lunch for us and served the same wihin half an hour. We took rest till evening and in the evening we went to the River. One has to walk a distance of about half km from the parking area to reach the banks of the River. After spending for about half an hour, Mr.V.K and myself have taken a holy bath in the River Narmada. It is from this spot of River Narmada, Shiva Saligramams are collected and worshipped. There were many shops selling Shiva Saligrams at this place. By 8 pm returned to the Hotel and took rest for the day.

22nd September, 2007 - Saturday.

Starting at 7-30 am myself and Mrs.& Mr.V.Ks went to the nearby famous Chousath Yogini Temple on a Hillock. As one has to climb about 300 steps my wife has not shown interest in climbing the Hillock and so she remained in the Hotel Room. It is a Durga Temple and around the temple are sixty four statues of Yoginis (female yoga mystics) - most of the yogini statues are not in good shape. The temple commands a beautiful view of the Bhedaghat village and also the excellent view of Narmada River flowing through the Marble Rocks. The Durga Matha in the Sanctum Sanctorium is seated on Nandeeswara along with Lord Shiva.

According to local legend, there is a secret underground path from the temple premises to the palace of the then Local Gond Queen Durgavati of 10th century (The palace is in the nearby City of Jabalpur at a distance of about 20 km). After spending sometime and praying Durga Matha we returned to the Hotel. In the Reception Hall we met the proprietor of Hotel Shri Anil Tiwari. Besides the Hotel, we learnt that Mr.Anil Tiwari has a shop nearby selling Shiva Saligrams. Along with him we went to his Shop and I purchased various types of Shiva Saligrams. After returning from the Shop, Mr.Anil Tiwari sent one of his employees to show the marble rocks in the Narmada River. The Marble Rocks at Bhedaghat rise to about hundred feet on either side of the River Narmada. The serene loveliness of the scene sparkling in the sunlight is a treat to witness. I have collected some marble rocks from the River bed as momentos. At home now and then I place these rocks in water and feel that the water is equivalent to Narmada Water. It is said that there would be a boat ride on moon light nights which would be a very beautiful experience as the whole stretch of water is said to be transformed into a sheet of liquid silver to be experienced personally and cannot be described. But the Boat Rides start only from October/November onwards.

In the afternoon at 3 pm we proceeded to Jabalpur City for sight seeing which is at a distance of 20 km from Bhedaghat. Just before entering the City we had a small unfortunate incident in that a Goat ran across the road and fallen roadside hitting our Car. I stopped the Car and a large number of people gathered around the Car. The owner of the Goat came and demanded compensation for the Goat. Our argument that we were driving at a low speed of 40 km and the Goat driven by somebody ran across the road suddenly and hit our Car and we were not at all in fault has fallen into the deaf ears of the mob and we paid the compensation demanded by the owner and left the place. We visited a temple near the Fort of Jabalpur and on the way visited the hanging Rock. After aimlessly wandering through the streets of Jabalpur, we returned to Bhedaghat by 7 pm and spent upto 8 pm near the shopping complex at Narmada River. Then we went to the Hotel and took rest for the day.






RIVER NARMADA QUIETLY FLOWING ENCIRCLED BY
WHILE MARBLE CLIFTS.









OM TAT SAT OM TAT SAT OM TAT SAT





RAGHAVARAO U.V.G.V. DUGGIRALA,

HYDERABAD, Dt.25th OCTOBER, 2009.




Advertisement



21st March 2010

I am vijay kumar would like to know the details for the trip of kasi for my uncle and aunt who lives in wanaparthy and they are 58 and 60+ ages right now.
23rd March 2010

Please let me know what details you wish to know about Kasi Yatra - about accommodation, performance of religious cores or about travel?

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb