JYOTIRLINGA TOUR OF AN OLD COUPLE (12)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad » New Santoshnagar
October 8th 2009
Published: October 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

JYOTIRLINGA TOUR OF AN OLD COUPLE (12)

24th JULY, 2009 - FRIDAY.

Throughout the night it was raining. Morning I again enquired in the Reception. The Receptionist informed that all the roads leading to Dwaraka were cut off on account of heavy rains. No Jeeps are travelling to Bet Dwaraka, Nageswara Jyotirling or to Somnath. Drains, streams and tanks were overflowing on the roads ranging from two to five feet of water and vehicular traffic had come to a halt. It is said that the road to Jamnagar through which we entered Dwaraka was also closed. So, we spent in the room itself seeing TV (fortunately TV is functioning and current is available for most of the time) after performing for an hour our daily puja/parayana of strotrams. During day time also it was raining now and then with full of clouds in the sky. We went to another Hotel for lunch and till evening we spent in the room itself. There is no Restaurant attached to our Lodge. In the evening we went to the Jagat Mandir and spent there till 8-30 pm witnessing various Haratis and reciting various strotrams in the temple premises and also leisurely visiting all the shrines in the complex.



TRAILOKYA SUNDAR JAGAT MANDIR

The Sanctum Sanctorium of Jagat Mandir dates back to at least 2500 years. The main Deity Lord Sri Krishna or Dwarakadheesh represents the four-armed form of Trivikram. It is said that Sri Krishna placed all his arts, achievements and properties into Lord Trivikrama. Lord Balaram’s temple is on the right side of the Jagat Mandir. On the left side there is a temple for Pradyumna and Aniruddha, the son and grandson of Lord Krishna. Opposite to this shrine is the deity of Purushothama and next to the same is Siva shrine known as Kuseswara Mahadeva. Opposite the Jagat Mandir is the deity of Devaki facing Lord Krishna and next to her shrine of Veni Madhava. In the back side of Jagat mandir there are shrines of Radha, Jambavati, Satyabhama, Lakshmi , Saraswati and Lakshmi Narayana. Adjacent to this is the Sharada Peetham of Adi Sankaracharya where one of the Sphatika Lingams brought by Adi Sankaracharya from Mount Kailash is there to which Abhishekam is performed every day. Praying all the deities and remembering the incidents described in Pothana Bhagavatham, we returned to the Lodge at 9 pm and took rest for the day.


25th July, 2009 - Saturday.

In the morning spent from 8 am to 10 pm performing daily puja in the room itself. On enquiry at Reception, there is good news that Jeeps are going to Bet Dwaraka and Rukmini Devi temple. So we decided to go to these places after lunch at 2 pm. When we started at 2 pm further good news is that way to Nageswara Jyotirlinga temple was also clear and Jeeps are going. However, bad news is that, Receptionist informed, it may take a week to restore the Coastal Route to Somnath. First we went to the temple of Rukmini Devi on the outskirts of Dwaraka which is on the way to Bet Dwaraka. It is stated that on account of curse of Sage Durvasa, Rukmini Devi is forced to stay on the outskirts of Dwaraka City. Though the temple is small compared to Jagat Mandir, it is a masterpiece in architecture. The temple walls were decorated with the events connected with Devi Rukmini and Lord Sri Krishna. The present temple is said to have been built in 12th century.

After visiting the Rukmini temple we proceeded on the road that leads to Bet Dwaraka. My intention was to visit Nageswara Jyotirlinga temple and enquire about the arrangements for Abhishekam the next day. We have reached the Mithapur town on the way which is before Okha Port. Okha Port is the last point on earth from Dwaraka side and from there one has to go by a launch to the reach the island of Bet Dwaraka.

Tata Chemicals Factory is situated in Mithapur town. We have seen hundreds of lorrys on either side of the road near the Factory to take the finished chemicals to various places. I could not find any sign board showing way to Nageswara Jyotirlingam. After crossing Mithapur, I enquired the way to Nageswara Jyotirlingam. One of the cyclist informed that there was a straight road to Nageswara Jyotirlingam from Dwaraka and of course from Mithapur also one can go and he showed the road to Nageswara Jyotirlingam from Mithapur. We have to go back towards Dwaraka on a parallel road for a distance of 12 km to reach Nageswara Jyotirlingam. After proceeding one km on this road, I fould one foot deep water is overflowing on the road for about a distance of 100 metres. Seeing that three wheelers are proceeding on this road in the water, I also ventured in my car. Here most of the three wheelers were fitted with bigger wheels of the size of Motor Cycles. After travelling about another km there was again water flowing for about a distance of 200 metres. This time I found the water is more than one foot as seen from the other Autos coming and the time is already 3-45 pm. Now I am afraid to proceed further on this road. If the condition of the road with water for every two or three kms, it may be difficult to visit Nageswara temple and again Bet Dwaraka. So, I decided to postpone the visit to Nageswara temple to tomorrow and turned back to proceed to Bet Dwaraka. We reached Okha Port by 4-15 pm. From there tourists go on motor launches to the island of Bet Dwaraka. There we met a Telugu family from Godavari Khani who were presently residing in Jamnagar on account of their job. They also came to visit Bet Dwaraka taking their relatives who were on a tour to Dwaraka. By 5 pm we were on the island of Bet Dwaraka.

BRIEF HISTORY OF BET DWARAKA:

Bet Dwaraka was said to be the antahpuram of Lord Sri Krishna. It is said that Lord Krishna was staying at this island during summer with his Pattapu Rani Rukmini so as to avoid the severe heat of summer in the city of Dwaraka. The temple of Lord Krishna here was very spacious and beautiful. There were temples of Jain Tirthankars and also of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Of course, there were some masjids also. The Devasthanam also appears to have been maintaining a Goshala on this island. The beach at Bet Dwaraka is also beautiful and one must take some time to enjoy the beauty of the sea in the quiet spiritual environment here. It is interesting to note that Pakistan Navy attacked Dwaraka in 1965 war to destroy the temples but failed.

LORD SHRI KRISHNA’S HEIRS.

It is interesting to note that Lord Sri Krishna had 80 sons. Except the names of Pradhyumna, Aniruddha, and Samba, the names of other sons/heirs of Lord Sri Krishna are not popularly mentioned. Dr.Nirbhayram, a resident of Dwaraka, temple priest, a devotee of Lord Krishna and a scholar on research of various puranas and sastras collected the names of the sons of Lord Krishna. Lord Krishna had 80 sons from his eight prime queens whose names are:

Sons of Lord Sri Krishna and Rukmini : 1. Pradyumna 2. Charu Deshna 3. Sudeshna 4. Charudeha 5. Sucharu 6. Charugupta 7. Bhadracharu 8. Charuchandra 9. Vicharu 10. Charu.

Sons of Lord Sri Krishna and Satyabhama : 11. Bhanu 12. Subhanu 13. Swabhanu 14.Prabhanu 15. Bhanumaan 16. Chandrabhanu 17. Bruhadbhanu 18. Atibhanu 19. Shribhanu 20. Pratibhanu.

Sons of Lord Sri Krishna and Jambavati : 21. Samba 22. Sumitra 23. Purujit 24. Shatajit 25. Shasrajit 26. Vijay 27. Chitraketu 28. Vasumaan 29. Dravin 30. Krutu.

Sons of Lord Sri Krishna and Nagnajiti: 31. Veer 32. Chandra 33. Ashwasen 34. Chitragu 35. Vegavaan 3. Vrush 37. Aarn 38. Shanku 39. Vasu 40. Kunti.

Sons of Lord Sri Krishna and Kalindi : 41. Shrut 42. Kavi 43. Vrush 44. Veer 45. Subhahu 46. Bhadra 47. Shanti 48. Darsh 49. Purnamas 50. Somak.

Sons of Lord Sri Krishna and Lakshmana: 51. Prabodh 52.Gatravaan 53. Simha 54. Bal 55. Prabal 56.Urdhvag 57. Mahashakti 58. Sah 59. Oja 60. Aparajit.

Sons of Lord Sri Krishna and Mitravinda : 61. Vruk 62. Harsh 63. Anil 64. Grudhra 65. Varddhan 66. Annad 67. Mahash 68. Paavan 69. Vanhi 70. Kshudhi.

Sons of Lord Sri Krishna and Bhadra : 71. Sangramjit 72. Bruhatsen 73. Shoor 74. Praharan 75. Arjit 76. Jay 77. Subhadra 78. Vaam 79. Aayu 80. Satyak.

The above numbers need not be taken in ascending or descending order. The object is to give the list of names of Lord’s sons. Starting from Brahma, Lord Sri Krishna is 64th in the genenological tree and after him are 1. Pradhyumna 2. Aniruddha 3. Vajranabha (who constructed the the Jagat Mandir in 400 BC in Dwaraka) 4. Pratibahu 5. Subahu 6. Shanta Sen 7. Shata Sen.

ANTIQUE IDOLS FOUND ON EXCAVATION PRESERVED AT BET DWARAKA





REMAINS FOUND DURING ARCHEOLOGICAL EXCAVATION




After leisurely visiting the temple of Lord Sri Krishna we returned to the Motor Launch and came to Okha Port by about 7 pm. The entire town of Okha is covered by the Navy of Indian Army. The Port does not appear to be used for export and import of goods; but only for military purposes and for fishing community.

SECURITY OF THE JAGAT MANDIR
Reliance Industries appears to have undertaken the responsibility of the security of the temple and set up a state of the art close-circuit TV based computerized security system in the premises of the temple, which consisted of a control room established in Dwaraka Police Station premises near the temple which has strengthened the police force that protect the shrine and the devotees during festivals such as Janmasthami, Holi, etc. The security system appears to have involved placement of high-powered cameras with monitors in the Police Control Room. The cameras continuously shoot all entrances and monitor movements in the market near the temple, the Gomati Ghat and the seashore and almost all important corners in the temple. Reliance Industires also appears to be constructing a Guest House for the benefit of the pilgrims at a cost of Rs.2.5 crores.

We returned to the Lodge by 8-30 pm and took rest for the day. Next day morning we proposed to go to Nageswara Jyotirlingam very early.

26th July, 2009 - SUNDAY.

By 7 am we were ready to go to Nageswara Jyotirlingam. At the reception, I enquired whether any Autos would be available to take us to Nageswara Jyotirlingam and Gopi Tallav as I do not intend to take the risk of going in my car. The Receptionist informed me that an Autowallah would charge about Rs.350 for exclusively taking us to the places. At my request he telephoned to a travel company to send an auto. After 15 minutes, the autowallah came and I negotiated for Rs.280 to take us exclusively to Nageswara Jyotirlingam and Gopi Tallav. We started at 8 am in the auto. Nageswara Jyotirlingam is at a distance of 16 km from Dwaraka. There is water on the road at two or three places and the autowallah carefully took us to the place and we reached Nageswara Jyotirlingam at 9 a.m.





IMPOSING SHIVA STATUE AT THE ENTRANCE OF NAGESWARA JYOTIRLINGA TEMPLE.


The temple is visible from a distance of 2 km. A huge, very attractive statue of Lord Parameswara in meditation pose greets the pilgrims and fills them with the thoughts of devotion forgetting the trouble undertaken to reach the place. The statue is said to be 125 feet high and 25 feet broad. The main entrance is simply beautiful.

OM TAT SAT OM TAT SAT OM TAT SAT



RAGHAVARAO U.V.G.V. DUGGIRALA,

HYDERABAD, 28th SEPTEMBER, 2009.


Advertisement



24th November 2009

How are road conditions in the area?
I m visiting Junagad,Girnar,Gir,Somnath,Diu,Dwarka.. How are the road condition. Are the roads good? How much time does it take to reach Dwarka from Somnath? Samrat Dhamal.
1st December 2009

Gujarath Tour
Except the road to DIU the other roads are excellent. The distance between Dwaraka and Somnath is about 237 km. The journey time in a car is about 6 house if you leisurely travel and visiting the Harsiddhi Matha temple on the way.
22nd September 2010

road route enquiry
Please give details about nearest road route from sholapur (maharashtra) to somnath (gujrath) as early as possible.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb