A4, Blog #3


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andaman & Nicobar Islands
October 11th 2013
Published: October 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Question : What role do women play in the society ? Do they have equality ? If not , what discrimination do women in this country face?

Site:http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/faculty/hodgson/Courses/so142/India/india.htm

Women in India are not treated with equality and therefore do not play a role other than being a wife and mother. During 1910 there were about 40%!o(MISSING)f women who were married by the age of ten and as a result of being married at the age of ten Indian government created new laws stating that women can be married only at the age of 15 and on. Indian women didn't have much of a say of wither or not they wanted to be wed , their parents had simply created arranged marriages for the women and they being women had to serve and take considerable control over children and their daily religious life. In fact, women had no say to anything , they are always to obey their husband and mother in-law and if not women were to be treated even more poorly by their husbands and if widowed they were to practice SATI , SATI is when women shave their head and wear white. They are to only eat once a day ,never meat and if they break a rule its considered omen.

Indian women face many discriminations by others simply because others view them as different. when I mean different people assume that they are terrorist because they are never to expose their hair and face in public. Indian women receive such judgmental comment on the way they look simply because their job as women is to conserve their young bodies for their husbands. Not only then are they to socialize with their husbands and other men. I also learned that women are to stay sacred until they are married and have to have constant check on their sexuality .

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb