Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
January 23rd 2014
Published: January 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

We have spent the last two days exploring this fascinating city and have both fallen under its spell . Hong Kong is vibrant busy city that is full of colour, sights, sounds and smells that are sometimes familiar but often to our western senses, exotic. We have explored Hong Kong island and Kowloon using the " Big Bus Company" travelling all three routes and using the Star Ferry harbour crossing.

On Wednesday we went to the top of Victoria Peak using the Peak tramway that travels to the peak up an almost impossible steep slope passing many of the skyscrapers that seem so close together. The views from the top are breathtaking and you can see the whole of the city, the harbour and the other side of the island. There are more skyscrapers in Hong Kong than any where else and many are built on the sides of the hills, it does make you wonder how they stay upright when you see the size of them. We then went to the south side of the island to Stanley, Repulse Bay and Deep Water Bay. This side of the island is much quieter and has sandy beaches and more of a seaside feel to it. Afterwards we went to Aberdeen which is a busy fishing area and we had a ride on a Sampan around the homes of the Boat People and a huge floating restaurant.

Today was spent exploring Kowloon which has thousands of shops in it as well as many street markets which are fascinating to go around. You can buy anything in these markets and you soon become used to having to haggle the price down. You come away thinking you have done really well forgetting these traders do this every day and are real experts at it!!!! Kowloon is an area of about 47 square kilometres and has a population of 2.1 million people living in it, hence the number of towering buildings. Although there are many people in the streets it is all very calm and orderly and all obey the rules when crossing the roads at Junctions when the " bleeps" tell them to.

Tomorrow is our last day here and we fly out in the evening to Sydney Australia for a four day stop.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



23rd January 2014

Hong Kong
Great to read your descriptions. Clair and I had a day here in 2011 but didn't have time to explore as much as you have done. Hope the feet are holding up. Xxx
23rd January 2014

Looks amazing!
Hi Chad and Penny. Blog thingy working!! All looks amazing, certainly another world! And you're only at the beginning! Hope next 'leg' goes smoothly. X
23rd January 2014

High up in Hong Kong!
Glad you're having such a fantastic time, those views look amazing- even better than the view from the Birmingham Library! I like the sound of the ride on the Sampan. You might need that extra bag Pen to bring your shopping back! Brilliant blogging.
25th January 2014

Sounds as if you've had a full on few days, wouldn't like to guess how many photos you've taken already. I put a call into Manchester this morning and spoke to Joan, who was as bright as button. Just in case you're not aware England have finally won a cricket match by 50+ runs!! Man United lost their Carling Cup semi final to Sunderland in a penalty shoot out - we didn't see it but out of 10 penalties only 3 were scored. FA Cup this weekend so Villa don't play until mid-week, West Brom away!! Hope Sydney lives up to expectations xx

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb