Off to the markets we go


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
December 28th 2013
Published: December 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Black chickenBlack chickenBlack chicken

I think it's steeped in soy sauce and some more ingredients... this is at the pretty supermarkets
Guten tag!

I've been thinking about posting some of the following photos on here. I'm really not trying to portray Hong Kong as weird in their choice of food, snacks and markets. On the other hand, I realise (realize) it's only weird because some people have never encountered anything like it so if you are curious, please continue but I will warn you, contents might be disturbing...

I went to a very traditional Chinese market, which is crowded and incredibly fascinating. I grew up going to these markets and always remembered being bored and irritated but now, I am just fascinated, grossed out and curious all together.

We have our store-style mall where everything is packaged and laid out beautifully. And when I say everything is wrapped, everything is wrapped and packaged almost all individually. Vegetables and fruits are all wrapped in saran wrap (cling film). It might sound like there's a lot of waste but due to SARs that happened over ten years ago, everything is wrapped, sanitized, packaged etc.

But not the produce in the Chinese market!

The Chinese markets are kind of like a Farmer's market in Colorado but not as hyped up
Hi-chewHi-chewHi-chew

I grew up eating this candy :D
and magical. It's as grubby as a real farmer's market should be but surprisingly, the smell isn't as awful as one might think. It does smell like the sea when you get into the seafood section though but that's pretty much it. Prices are a lot lower than buying from pretty supermarkets and the people are a lot rough around the edges. I even saw a seller smoking by his produce - it was fascinating.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

GrandmasGrandmas
Grandmas

Lots of grandmas like to gather at the parks or at their flats and just sit with each other. It's cute
MarketMarket
Market

And here we go...
MarketMarket
Market

Okay so these are packaged.
Fish butcher?Fish butcher?
Fish butcher?

Whatever these lovely people are called. They are preparing the fish and taking out whatever that's not edible


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb