Mike,Dave and Sue follow the Lions 2013 (2)


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
June 11th 2013
Published: June 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Bristol to Heathrow by bus, 1/2 mile walk to the gate and 3 mile taxi to the runway, felt as we had done most of the trip before leaving the ground! We travelled with Valerie, a friend of Sue's from Cashmoor Nursery school who wanted company to fly out to Sydney to visit her daughter. After a 10 hour flight we arrived to high heat and humidity in Hong Kong. Quite impressed with Cathay Pacific, new plane and good service. HKG International is an impressive and efficient terminal if not architecturally noteworthy. The taxi ride into HK was interesting, I spent most of the trip watching the rear view mirror to see if our luggage was falling out of the boot! Suitcases for the four of us were piled high and strapped down with a bungee. Normal practice it seems and nothing went astray. The Nathan hotel is centrally located on Nathan Road so close to most everything.

After a short rest it was straight out into the crowds, looking for somewhere to eat. Working on the premise used at home that if the Chinese were patronising a restaurant it was probably good doesn't work over here, they're all full of Asians! We opted for the Wu Kong Shanghai restaurant where the greeter was a middle aged Sikh gentleman! Peking Duck, Spicy Beef, Chicken Chow Mein and Fried Rice were all good, accompanied by Siang Tao beer.

Rolling out of there like a pair of Weebles, (Dave and I not Sue and Val of course) we were hit by a wall of heat and humidity which coupled with the crowds and jet lag ensured we were thoroughly worn out by the time we got back to the Nathan. Dave and I shared a room, not like Eric and Ernie though, two single beds! Dave was asleep within 5 minutes!

I, as expected, was awake by 3am 😞 hence writing this at 5am!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



11th June 2013

Hi all, glad the journey was a successful one. We had exactly the same reaction when walking into HKG Airport, it is real spectacle. Ha i knew you would be wary of the taxis and drivers there, we had a piece fall off our taxi and almost immediately we hopped out of the car and went to fetch it. By the time we got to it a bunch of asians had picked it up and were trying to attach it back on to the taxi. We were shocked as we thought they were trying to steal it. Anyway enjoy the rest of your time in HKG and keep us updated G
12th June 2013

Safe Journey
Glad you have arrived at the half way stage safe and sound. Enjoy. Just back from the Benelux Rally. Good week, hot, 23 degrees most days. Topped up the biker tan, arms and face!!! Have a safe onward journey and enjoy yourselves. You can always start the diet when you get back!! Andy

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb