West meets East - Last two weeks in China


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
February 21st 2010
Published: February 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The second half of our month in China was by far the best. We left our luggage at the hostel in Guilin and took a day/overnight trip to a tiny hill village called Ping'an. Its one of a few small farming communities collectively know as The Dragons Backbone, famed for their rice terraces. Believe me, it took a lot of convincing from Tom to get me to go and see a rice farm but surprisingly it was really worth it. It was totally out of season and the worst time of year to go but because of that normally tourist-packed walks and hotels were completely empty. We had the place to ourselves and it was beautiful. We stayed one night in Ping'an and got up early the next morning for the four hour walk to Dazhai. It rained the whole time but it was still stunning. We were followed by a dog from Ping'an for half the walk who we named Nimble, cause he was a bit of a dork and could climb the terraces mighty fast but he got scared by a bull on the path and went back home.

That night we took a bus to Yangshuo, south of Guilin. Yangshuo is heavily geared for tourists, local and foreign. Its kind of like a calmer mini-Amsterdam with canals and cafes and cobbled streets and neon lights but theres a lot to keep you busy away from the crowds. We found a super cheap hostel and spent about four days walking and bike riding to nearby towns. The weather was outstanding and we also found an amazing little hole in the wall noodle place (these things are not as common as we expected) that pretty much took care of three meals a day. There was also a fresh fruit market that sold incredible strawberries and steamed sweet buns in the mornings. Heaven.

From Yangshuo it was an overnight bus straight to the Hong Kong border and a train took us to Kowloon. We approached Hong Kong with guarded wallets but it was tough to be tight in shopping Mecca. Within the first day I nabbed myself a pair of Japanese designer limited edition Pumas for $50 reduced from $300! The layout of the city seemed a little daunting at first but its so easy to get around and there's so much to see. I took a free Feng Shui lesson and free Jewellery Appreciation class through the tourist office while Tom drooled in the electronics shops. We found a Ben and Jerrys AND an amazing, fully-westernised, hardly-authentic Indian restaurant. It was just like being back home!

It was steadily approaching Chinese New Year and spurred by fear of expensive accommodation and news report of people having to buy local train tickets two weeks in advance we decided to escape China and booked a flight to Japan, planning to come back in a couple of weeks, further north.... if one of the most expensive countries in the world hadn't rinsed our backpacker budget dry.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Happy hour at Monkey Janes - YangshuoHappy hour at Monkey Janes - Yangshuo
Happy hour at Monkey Janes - Yangshuo

Tom nearly won a Beer Pong comp that night against the owner - she was down to two cups and he had four and she wiped them out in one go! Damn happy hour.
View from the Dragon Bridge - YangshuoView from the Dragon Bridge - Yangshuo
View from the Dragon Bridge - Yangshuo

The patient Cormorant was tied to the boat by the owner ready to go fishing.
Markets - YangshuoMarkets - Yangshuo
Markets - Yangshuo

Only meters away from the fruit and veg was the meat section... and swiftly reminding that we were not in Kansas anymore, we found our what happened to the dogs that were on our bus.
Mirador Mansions - Hong KongMirador Mansions - Hong Kong
Mirador Mansions - Hong Kong

Not nearly as bad as everyone makes out, we had a clean room, with a sink and a view over Nathan Rd in the heart of the city. What more could you want?


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb