China - Part 3 (Yangshuo & Hong Kong)


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
October 23rd 2009
Published: October 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Moon HillMoon HillMoon Hill

We climbed to the "bottom of the moon" and then all the way to the top
The “passenger no entry” sign on the top of Moon Hill was like a red flag to a bull as we realised that we could climb all the way to the top of the “moon”. The lack of established path meant there were points on the climb we were left doubting our decision, especially Zoe whose flip flops made the ascent even more of a challenge! The 360 degree view from the top was worth it.

Yangshuo’s natural beauty means that both the locals and tourists flock there to relax - including newlyweds in search of the ultimate wedding snap (see pic). After an afternoon meandering down the river on a bamboo raft and a day cycling round the country, we could understand why. Home to cormorant fishing (like the HSBC advert), stunning mountains, “beer fish” (local dish) and friendly locals Yangshuo quickly became one of our favourite places in China. Our 5 hour cycle ride was great fun although we were nearly forced to abandon 1km in as Dave’s bike broke, luckily a replacement was delivered promptly on the back of a motorbike. The local’s preference for tandems meant there was no respite from photographs en route too.

Hong Kong was next, our final destination, and the 19 hour journey there was somewhat trying to say the least! Unfortunately our last four trains have also suffered from “congestion” on the tracks, adding even more hours to the journeys. It was worth every second though and we were left wanting longer than our 1½ days to explore the English-Chinese hybrid city. We managed to squeeze in the impossibly steep cable car ride to the peak for amazing views; a quick boat ride around Victoria Harbour; and drinks (our first glass of proper white wine in weeks) with Jerry & Jayne (family friends) at Repulse Bay. The bus ride to the bay was stunning and slightly strange being on the top deck of an English Routemaster winding around tropical bays. Luckily their driving is much better (safer) than what we’ve experienced elsewhere in Asia meaning we could enjoys the views.

Our final group dinner was surprisingly sad - it’s amazing how quickly we’ve become attached to each other over the last three weeks - nothing like hours cooped up on a sleeper train to bond. Ricky (tour guide) admitted that when he first met our group he was worried
Hong KongHong KongHong Kong

Group farewell dinner
that it would be a long three weeks, but he’d actually grown to love us, despite the group’s continued tardiness, hangovers and general English-ness. To prove this he serenaded us in Chinese before saying goodbye and starting his daunting 30 hour train ride back to Beijing for his next tour. Dinner was rounded off with drinks in the city’s obligatory Irish Bar, which turned out to be an ex-pat haunt making for a great final night.


Boreno is our next destination for a week in the jungle with the orangutans where we have just arrived to the good news that one of Andy's projecs won the British Quality Foudation's Best Imrovement Award (slightly narked he missed the award ceremony hosted by Alistair McGowan and attended by Princess Anne!).

Bex & Andy

Congratulations to Katy & Scott on the arrival of Morgan


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Moon HillMoon Hill
Moon Hill

This sign had the opposite effect on us
Moon HillMoon Hill
Moon Hill

Us at the top of the moon
Moon HillMoon Hill
Moon Hill

Andy and some of the 360 views
Yangshuo river tripYangshuo river trip
Yangshuo river trip

Makes our wedding photos look boring!
Yangshuo river tripYangshuo river trip
Yangshuo river trip

The bamboo rafts we crusied on
Yangshuo river tripYangshuo river trip
Yangshuo river trip

This view makes it on to the back of a 20 yuan note
Hong KongHong Kong
Hong Kong

Something vaguely familiar in this picture
Hong KongHong Kong
Hong Kong

Victoria Harbour
Hong KongHong Kong
Hong Kong

The Peak Tram
Hong KongHong Kong
Hong Kong

View from the peak


24th October 2009

breathtaking
Some breathtaking views! Your itinary is fantastic!

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb