The last few days


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
May 22nd 2009
Published: May 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

During the trials and tribulations of our dodgy guts (Peter got it 24 hours after me), and eventually we both had trouble for 3 days, we managed to also squeeze in a trip up to the Great Wall - Mutianyu - a relatively unknown/newish section of the wall, nicely refurbished. It was a cable car ride to the top after fighting our way through the people selling "I Climbed the Great Wall" t-shirts and hats, but then it was as we expected....a fantastic view of the wall....and wow!!! what a view!!! And fortunately there were very few other people around too...

Then back to Beijing, and onto the train again - this time for Xian and the Terracotta Warriors (I spent the first day in bed, while Peter, Dad & Liu Zhou wandered the city walls & a few temples, but at least this seemed to shake the stomach bug). And again...wow!!! the army is spectacular, although one does get the impression that there is more left under the ground that they haven't excavated than that that they have! It's such a shame that they have no way of retaining the coloration of the warriors though, and I sincerely hope that they do find a way in the future, as to see the original colours, it must be quite something!

After this it was on to Hong Kong, leaving dad behind. Peter & I only just made it into HK, via Shenzhen, and a walk over the border 15 minutes before customs closed, and then one of the last few trains down to Kowloon, and a swift cold one in the bar before crashing out....


And then: Hong Kong!

And it was all as expected...bustling, busy, full of neon, and very very humid! There was only just time for a whistle-stop tour - so onto the open top bus, whiz round, up the peak, up the long long escalator.
The highlight had to be the sound and light show in the harbour, with all the skyscrapers participating..one of the most spectacular sights I think I have ever seen, and certainly a memorable finale to the trip.

I'm now home again, and it's starting to seem a very long way away, but as I get the photos uploaded and tidied I'll send out some more updates, and I know Peter's yet to do some work with the GPS logs - so thanks for reading - and there will definitely be more to come!

David
😉


Advertisement



Tot: 0.389s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1862s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb