Arriving in Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
October 3rd 2008
Published: October 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bye bye chocolateBye bye chocolateBye bye chocolate

(or see you soon)
Well,

Don't really know where I should start...the beginning I suppose (but not in a long version; writing an email to my mum has just sucked out most of my brain power!).

Leaving was a bit sad - shed a few tears for my mummy, but was o.k. then. Got to airport and checked in fine; and no delays for plane. In fact, v.impressed with plane - loads of free stuiff. Got a blanket, pillow, eye mask, socks and free headphones; even had own TV where could choose what I wanted to watch - you don't get that on your average Greece or Spain flight...well I don't anyway! They made us walk through first class to get to it though, which I thought was particularly cruel! Was an 11 hour flight, but went quite quickly with lots of watching films, Tv, music and eating - you know me and food...we just go together!

Landed and got bags - thought Deborah was either going to die or kill me at this point...she's a little bit nervy (is that a word?) when it comes to collecting the bags! Strapped in and walked to bus stop, which was the second point at which we nearly died that day - there is a reason they tell you to pack light, and as soon as you pick up that bag, you know why! Anyway, couldn't get on bus beacuse didn't have exact change - unbelievable rule! Had to walk all way back with bags just to get change. Eventually got bus with non helpful driver and got off too early, so a random really nice man helped us catch tube.

Found hostel really easily because loads of touts trying to get you into their hostels. All hostels built on top of each other in a skyrise building which sits on top of a shopping centre. Got elevator up (because no stairs and also back breaking with bag at this point). Will never forget moment we first found ours on 15th floor - called Ocean View (maybe because it is the exact opposite - someone was having a laugh when they gave it that name!) Door to our room (if you can call it that) was already open....Imagine a tiled shed with a bed squashed in corner and you will imagine room. Had a bathroom (ha!) behind door and small window was against
View from the HarbourView from the HarbourView from the Harbour

View from mainland HK, looking out to HK Island
another skscraper about a metre away.

That day was probably quickest Ive ever got ready in my life! Went to get info about HK and headed for pier. Great view bacuase it looks straight across to HK island and all skyscrapers on front. Had a quick nosey then went for some food - always have priorities in order! Completely forgot that they eat with chopsticks here. Went to a quite posh restaurant (by mistake) and order some kind of chicken dish with rice. Felt a complete idiot trying to eat it with chopsticks and hand was killing. Im sure I burnt more calories trying to eat that meal than I did actually eating it!


Went back to harbour after dinner. There is a light show called The Symphony of Lights in HK and it happens every night. Is a cool laser show from all skyscrapers and all lights move in time with music. We were impressed. Meandered home (ha!) after that so as to avoid being in Ocean too long. And that was the first night in HK.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Ocean ViewOcean View
Ocean View

This is as much of an Ocean View as we ever saw!


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb