Touch down!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
December 6th 2005
Published: December 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Arrived at Hong Kong International airport at Chek Lap Kok at around 7.30pm in the evening.

A cold blast of wind hit everyone, signalling a change in climatic conditions, and everyone rushed to pull out jackets, sweaters and pullovers from their bags. Stepping out into the freezing air, and into the stone-cold tarmac, everyone clambered onboard the airport shuttle bus en route to the main terminal building.

Waiting for an hour or so for the usual custom formalities to be cleared, everyone streamed out from the Arrival section of the airport and dissipated, dispersed and intermingled with the rest of the airport crowds.

Bought an Octopus card (an EZ-link card analog) and proceeded to the bus interchange to board bus A21 bound for Mongkok. Should have taken a photo on board the bus, but oh well. The bus trip took roughly 45 minutes as it sped through the highways, whizzing past the numerous vast black abyss of the landscape, occasionally punctured by the Airport Express trains on the left. One thing I must add: The double-decker buses in HK (hmm...I haven't seen a single decker public bus in HK) have much comfortable seats...those that have proper back support and a head cushion, and seat more people at the top deck rather than the lower deck.

As we approached the heart of the city centre - the conurbation...which strangely resembled the much accustomed HDB high-rise flats slowly gave way to the ubiquitous large neon-lit street signs (some of which were four stories high!) with large tradditional chinese words trumpeting the welcome into the bustling city district of Mongkok, Kowloon.

Checked into our hostel along Argyle street, presumably located in the heart of the Mongkok district...judging by the immense human crowds and traffic snarls along its well-worned streets.

Here's what Lonely Planet mentions about Mongkok:

Mong Kok is one of Hong Kong's most congested working-class residential areas, as well as one of its busiest shopping districts. You'd never guess the meaning of its name in Cantonese: 'Prosperous Point'.

This is where locals come to buy everyday items such as jeans, tennis shoes, kitchen supplies, computer accessories and so on. Take a look at Fife Street, which has an amazing collection of stalls selling old records, books, ceramics, machinery and music scores. Mong Kok is also a good place to buy backpacks, hiking boots and sporting goods.



Fallon, S. (2002). Hong Kong & Macau. Victoria : Lonely Planet Publications (pp194)

It seems that the cold front had settled in Hong Kong these few days as temperatures plunged and hovered around 18 to 20ÂșC, relative humidity stands at 63%! (MISSING) Cold front forecasted to move away one or two days later.

Again, apologies for the absence of airport pictures, security measures were strictly enforced and as such, no photo-taking are allowed within the airport areas.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb