Not SoHo but Ho


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
August 3rd 2006
Published: August 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Just a quick note before we leave for Shanghai.

Last night we wanted to have an night on the town. Unfortunately there is a small typhoon to the south that is headed for Thailand but causing wind and rain here. There was a short break in the weather and we headed out for Hong Kong Central.

We tried the club scene of Lan Kwai Fong, but the restaurants did not look appealing. We started wandering and ended up on Hollywood Road and found an Italian restaurant called Goccia. We had a locals experience.

It was nice and upscale and for the moment we felt like part of the Hong Kong elite.

I had grilled Boston lobster (yes, I went to HK for american fare) and Dave had King Prawns. The food was fabulous. The owner and executive chef introduced themselves.

The downside is that the restaurant was on the north side of Hollywood Road. South of Hollywood or SoHo is really the place to be. It is where those who want to be seen go. We came close. If only we had crossed the street and looked for another restaurant....

And for the latest...

The typhoon which is only skirting HK has caused massive airline delays. We agreed to delay our flight until tomorrow and spend one more night in HK. Of course with we are flying a local airline and so no benefits were offered such as hotel or food. Rather than get out in the rain and gale force winds, we have placed ourselves at the mercy of the airport hotel, the only one in the area of course. And as the weather is sooooo bad, they only have suites left...of course. We are lucky Dave is travelling on the company dime or we would have braved the weather to a cheaper hotel. I admit is nice with a living room, two flat screen TV's, 1.5 baths and a whirlpool tub. It also comes with the special lounge (like the ones we enjoyed in Suzhou and Shanghai). I promise to take full advantage of all amenities. I'll add pictures later...of the view or lack of it and the room. In the mean time we have "battened down the hatches" and have "heaved to" to ride out the storm. More later.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb