Last day in Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
April 6th 2011
Published: April 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We saw the sun today. For a while there was bright blue sky. It looks like a great day to visit Hong Kong Island and the financial district. But first we need breakfast and the big pack for our flight to Zurich later in the night.
What incredible architecture has been used to build these high rise towers. The HSBC building has been designed so that it can be packed up and moved. The speedy elevator to the 43rd floor of the China Bank left us with ears popping. We had trouble with Aunty Gretchen’s friend, Shorn the lamb, but he was kept well in hand, not like those workers protesting outside several of the banks in the area.
With a little time on our hands we took countless escalators up a hill to the Mid Levels where there are numerous apartment towers. The walk down gave us the opportunity to explore narrow streets filled with market stalls selling fruit, vegetables, meat and live fish. Our impression today is of a city of huge contrasts with everywhere people in such numbers that it seems impossible they could all move about and live their lives in this place. The MTR is a wonderfully efficient way of making things possible – fast, clean regular trains and very generous concession rates for old people!! YES!
We are now at Hong Kong International Airport waiting for our flight to Istanbul via Zurich. It’ll be a long night and hopefully we will get some sleep. Arrival time in Istanbul is 1:30pm on Thursday and then the Tour starts.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb