Hong Kong Fog


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
February 25th 2005
Published: February 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Hong Kong through a cloud of fog so thick you could barely see 20 ft in front of you. It reminded me of my first arrival into Kuwait, I couldn´t see a thing, and the next day you feel like you´re in a completely different place when you can actually see something. Anyways, so Hong Kong was a little more honky tonk than Japan...as expected(at least in Kawloon). Side streets that make you feel like you´re either in the movie Rush Hour 2, or some Van Damm movie running through the alleys. Then only a few blocks away there is the Central area where there are skyscrapers, Ferrari´s and Lamborghini´s driving around and I feel underdressed without a suit (which you can have custom made for $100 like most places in Southeast Asia if you wish). Lots of street vendors so you can´t walk more than 30 feet without being asked if I want a suit made, or if I want to buy a fake rolex. Tried to go to the top of the mtn on Hong Kong Island via the venicular for this spectacular view and didn´t have much luck up there...couldn´t see a thing due to the fog still hanging around.
Shopping was pretty big in Hong Kong, one of the main things that draws tourists. Laurie and I strolled through the night market (which encompassed at least 10 blocks) and stumbled across some wigs and aviator sunglasses for a bargain (I love to bargain at theses palces). We sported the wigs and went for dinner, met some students who reccommended places to go out. The night life was very impressive...Lung Kwa Fong (or something like that) was like a mini mardi gras...minus the flashing and hurricanes of course. But lots of open air bars and clubs and people overflowing into the streets. Bruce Springstein blaring out of some, and techno and house music out of others. Most people spoke english so that was helpful.. especailly since Cantonese is a very difficult language to pronounce.
Hong Kong was pretty conmercialized, not nearly as safe and clean as Tokyo, but much less expensive and still fun nonetheless. Also, some of the best Peking duck I´ve even eaten, as well as some great sweet and sour anything.

From Hong Kong it was a 3 hour flight I think to Narita airport, Japan and then 5 or 6 hours back to Honolulu.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb