Hong Kong Dollar


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
May 25th 2010
Published: July 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post


After making our way through the Chinese border and then the Hong Kong only meters apart it was done we got some money changed and head off to get our first class tickets really all this meant was we got big seats (we actually got seats) It was nice to travel into Hong Kong on the train and was very easy to navigate actually the whole rail system makes Hong Kong easy to get around....We got a taxi to our hotel when we got to the island....well what we thought was our hotel as it turned out we had somehow booked the wrong month and were at this stage currently stranded....I was concerned that there was nowhere for us to go that we could afford as we had splashed out to get this place....the hotel is stunning and we are sad we can't stay here the staff at reception were fantastic and rang around other local hotels to see if they could find us something and then let us use the business centre for free to book online somewhere else....luckily I could cancel the existing booking and get a refund so I did this and we were off to a new hotel in a jiffy....it strangely ended up being there sister hotel but the next step down looks wise but better location and a little more expensive! We arrived and the staff were just as helpful and the rooms are nice....no view but most places in Hong Kong don't have a view as there is so many high-rise buildings....as it turned out we had lost the whole day and it was dinner time so we head down the road and get some dinner at a local food place....not to badly priced but as we walked along we discovered pricing to be high pretty much the same as home....the meant our food mainly ended up being fast food (BK yes they have BK, Macca's, and bakery food)

We found a supermarket and got some breakfast food and milk to save some money that way too....we found chocolate other than snickers and dove so I got a crunchie and some mars bars and was a happy girl. (priorities I know but anyone who knows me knows I don't go more than a few days without chocolate and if I do I am not worth being around.) We head back to the hotel and have a nice rest in softer beds and with our big flat screen t.v and multiple english channels to choose from Mike was in heaven hehe The shower well what can I say to have a nice shower after very average ones for weeks is nice and I enjoyed a bath as well and free toiletries went down well 😊

The next morning Macca's coffee for Mike = Free Wifi for Michelle...we stopped and there was some messages saying to get in contact with Fleur we don't have internet where we are and its so expensive I am not sure when I will be able to do so no phone and unless I ring from the hotel I don't think we will be ringing from Hong Kong......we went on the camera lens mission and head to Time Square 15 stories high and flashy mall I looked at a few options and wrote down some pricing....however I thought it was still pricy we went back to the hotel to have a little rest and check the emails somewhere...as we walked past the 7-11 Mike thought we would check this internet you can buy on cards and we discover there is a 24hour options so we opt for this $3.50 although we soon are to discover it doesn't work in the hotel you have to be by the a place displaying there sign so the internet spot is outside the 7-11 on a plant box haha...I found out that my uncle is very unwell in n.z and that its touch and go. I hope that he will get better soon and ask that sis sends them a message for me, I was very worried all day so was a relief to have the email there when I first got back online so I knew what was going on.

The kiwi boys emailed say they are on there way but after 3 hours we decide we need to get going...the concierge has said that the road by the lady market is best for the electronics and we need to get these lenses so we head out and leave a message at the front counter for the boys in case they make it....as it turned out they got there about 6.30 as they went to the wrong place.

The markets are crazy and there is heaps of shops but they don't really seem to be any cheaper than over at time square...there's one offering a good price on the Tokina 18-270 but its still more than I was wanting to spend so we keep looking....we finally come across a man that knows what he is talking about and wants to help He can do a good package deal on Canon lenses so I head up the road a bit further one last shop they give me insanely cheap prices but don't show me any product....I head over to check what my tutor recommends which isn't a lot he just says that I should try and cover the same range as I already had....anyway so we head back over to the last shop and tried to talk to the guy there they seem more interested in the money they have made and phone calls they are receiving and Mike got into an arguement with the guy there eventually we leave after I drag him out of the shop as there is exchange of you want to fight going on and then threats of calling the police....we then go in search of something to eat but even pizza hut is to expensive so we end up heading back to the other guys place and see if we can get a better price...when he sees the person we were dealing with at the other place he basically laughed and told us they sell fake and there will be no warranty....he can't do a better price....Mike makes the decision that I can't and we go with the deal he is offering....so we get canon 18-55 and 75-300 filters and some other super wide angle thing that screws onto the front of the short lens for under $650 not to bad.

Mike got some random food from the side of the road and I got chicken nuggets and we went home to have a rest....we have let the boys know we will try and catch them tomorrow at the avenue of stars at midday....in normal fashion we have a relaxed morning and head over ending up being a little late and yes the boys are there waiting for us.....we get some photos of Bruce Lee and the stars Mike is super excited as he is like one of his favourites he loves him.....we soon make our way over to the Peak its a beautiful day and we might as well make the most of it...back on the ferry and then the bus and we make it to the tram up to the top we have a wander around and take some photos of the view its amazing up here and we have a nice walk around...the boys head off to organise visa's for vietnam and we end up going back to the hotel to charge the battery on the camera for the laser show tonight over the harbour...Mike leaves early to go meet the boys and let them know our plans and I wait for the charge....I end up getting the perfect ferry with the sunset wow what a nice trip across the harbour and meet Mike at the same spot by bruce lee on the waterfront...we find a spot to watch the show which was great...we really enjoyed it....head to sago and get some dinner and then over to the Markets its our last night and we want to get Mike a Bruce Lee Tee....we were successful and actually found my bracelet that I have been looking for the black bead one all and all a very successful trip to the markets by this time its 11pm and we hotfoot it to the underground to make it home before the trains stop running in hope to not need to get a taxi anywhere.

The morning arrives and we get our things together and head out and about and get a tram down the road we try to change some travellers cheques but that turns out to be harder than expected and end up eventually just getting money out of the machine and make our way back to the hotel to go to the airport. We have one last BK for lunch and then head off on the bus to the airport....wow this is one massive airport we go to terminal two to check in and then have to make our way to terminal one to fly out....there is 300 gates yes 300....we went and had a sandwich and then looking in one last shop as a ditch hope to find out monkey and rooster and to our surprise there they were....its meant to be (expensive) but meant to be so we buy them....we have been looking for these since Xian!

I use the free net and then we are underway and off to KL for the night before our early flight out to cambodia the next morning...we opted to stay at Tunes....when we get in its late and we grab some takeaway curry and head down to the hotel to try and get some rest....the room smells funky this time and the next day I was to discover the meanest mozzie bites I have had....they lasted six days before they healed and were just not nice at all! I think Nat and I had some mozzies last time but we sprayed before we went to town now that I think about it and on our return they were gone...this time we didn't even see them.

We were up early and on our way to Cambodia so just a few hours sleep by the time we flew in and got to the hotel we were ready for a shower, food and sleep!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb