Hong Kong revisited


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
December 12th 2005
Published: December 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

I am writing from Hanoi about Hong Kong as I don't think my H.K. blog got through. So here's a recap:

We stayed at the Sheraton in Kowloon across from the H.K. island and had the most magnificent view of Victoria Harbor, a panarama of skyscrapers all lit up in creative and spectacular ways, including 40 story Christmas scenes of Santas and holiday gifts. Each night at 8:00 there was a laser show on the harbor of these building with the lights choreographed, colorful and exciting. Lot of locals with children lined up on the new Avenue of the Stars (handprints and stars of Chinese celebrities, e.g. Jackie Chan) and oohed and aahed as the 15 minute show danced its dance.

Here are some things worth knowing about Hong Kong. Public transport is absolutely fab ulous, including the Star Ferry across the harbor connecting the Kowloon and Hong Kong island parts of the city. Buses run constantly and the subway is fast, clean and efficient. There are more shopping malls than I have ever seen, both above and below street level, with high end stores like Prada, Bally, Louis Vuitton, plus others as well. An escalator on H.K. island takes you up the hill. Called Mid-Levels, as you ride you pass shops, restaurants, streets, condos, and the parade is so fascinating to watch: a stidu pf varuomg spcop-economic levels of H.K. society.

A trip to Macau by boat has you go through customs, even tho' you never leave China. Macau and H.K. have special territory status in China. Macau was a Portuguese colony and architecture and street signs project that. Riding the tram (at an angle of at least 30 degrees) up the mountain to Victoria Peak is a treat, as are the 3 miile walk around it and the views of the harbour and city below. A ride in Aberdeen on a sampan with a local fisherwoman running the boat felt very authentic until her cell phone rang. However, we did glide by houseboats where women were drying fish and men were mending fishing nets.

I am writing from the Metropole Hotel in Hanoi and Christmas music in English is playing throughout the lobby. Such anomalies here in S.E. Asia. I miss you all.












Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.047s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb