Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
April 17th 2008
Published: April 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


WOW, what a wonderful place Hong Kong has turned out to be. We weren't sure quite what to expect but it has been a very pleasant surprise. The city is extremely clean, the people quiet, polite and immaculately dressed.

Tuesday saw us catch the Peak Tram to Victoria Peak for fabulous views over the city and harbour, the weather was fine although a little hazy but the views were still stunning. The MTR (underground train system) is efficient and cheap and we have made very good use of it getting to Kowloon and Lantau Island.

We met my friend Wah for dinner Tuesday evening. She booked a well known local restaurant and we enjoyed traditional Chinese cuisine....salt baked chicken complete with feet, tender pork in a vegetable sauce, fried rice and lots of green tea. We finished the dinner with a hot, sweet ginger and potato soup. It was great to catch up with Wah, I met and roomed with her on a trip to South America a couple of years ago. She is very well travelled and is heading to Iceland and Norway in August.

Yesterday (Wednesday) we caught the MTR to Lantau Island then the cable car to Ngong Ping where we saw the giant Buddha and the Po Lin monastery. We enjoyed the most delicious vegetarian lunch including lotus root and "vegetarian chicken". The cable car ride was not for the faint hearted, the steep incline on the way there was quite daunting on the return journey downhill, not helped by the boys discussing brake failure etc.......

Last night we went to Kowloon and watched the famous laser light show. A wonderful display of lights and music.

The weather has been very kind. No rain and warm to very hot, about 30c yesterday and only dropping to about 25c last night.

Well our last day here, off to Dubai this afternoon. About to head to the shops for one last spend up.

Bye for now, The Buckleys


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0165s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb