The best day ever!!!!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
September 4th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ok, the best part of all of Hong Kong happened today. The three of us: Brigit, Jack and I decided to go hiking. We had all had enough of the city and needed to get a bit dirty. Well, we got our wish. First was the walk to Hong Kong Park, where I found a statue devoted to a Canadian soldier who tried to defend Hong Kong from the invading Japanese. Next was the rise to the top of Victoria Peak on a tram going at a 45 degree angle which was fabulous. It was so grren and lush sort of like being in a sea of folliage. We went to the viewing platform, walked around a bit themn decided to try and hike down. This is thick brush, with vines and bamboo trees, where you can¨t see the sky or any light and we were trying to go down. So we decided to follow the river, and crawled for a few hours down the hills on the boulders. It sounds a bit dangerous and it was, but we had a blast. It was a real adventure as we went, me trying to not destroy my ankles as I have previously wrecked them, Jack going ahead as a scout and Brigit for all the world looking like a wood elf, perfectly content to live among the trees forever. We made it to our great happiness to the path, and set down after the bus.

Night had now fallen, but I still needed to go to the Sai Wan War Cemetary, to do some research. So, we grabbed a cab and after one false start and one long drive. we were there in the dark. Jack said as a Buddhist, he could not go in so Brigit and I did. It was downright ghostly, and sent chills up and down my spine. I still shiver when I think of all those tombstones glowing in the dark and the cross straight ahead, like all these souls were marching to it.

As part of its military campaign in World War II, the Empire of Japan invaded Hong Kong on December 8, 1941. The Canadian battalions were the Royal Rifles of Canada from Quebec and Winnipeg Grenadiers from Manitoba. The Royal Rifles only served in Newfoundland and New Brunswick prior to Hong Kong, and the Winnipeg Grenadiers had been posted to Jamaica. As a result, many of the Canadian soldiers had never fired a rifle before arriving in Hong Kong. With no chance of survival, over 1500 men died as they tried to hold the hill. The Battle of Hong Kong ended with British and Canadian defenders surrendering control of the colony to Japan on December 25. The dead includes 280 Canadian soldiers buried at Sai Wan Cemetary. I want to write an article on this place, more to let people know that Canadians fought in both theatres of WWII and to not forget those men, there for the right or wrong reason, who were there trying to save themselves and their fellow soldiers.

After I got a few pictures we headed off to get our shuttle bus and some warm food. Exausted, we stayed up eating and talking about the tremendous time we had climbing down the hill, and to talk a bit before I left for Japan tomorrow... mmmmm... Brigit shared her Guiness with us.

Unfortunately, it was so dark the pics look a bit off, but I managed to go back before my flight. Very cool.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Going up Victoria PeakGoing up Victoria Peak
Going up Victoria Peak

No really it is this steep


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb