Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
November 30th 1999
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arrived after our 14hour flight that just seemed to go for ever. Aido got food sick from the airplane food which didnt get things off to a healthy start. Being jetlagged, it was tough being thrown into the middle of a very humid Hong Kong. Hundreds of people running around with hardly a space to move. Some of them wearing the Michael Jackson sars type mask trying to dodge every germ that that was in the air. After a bit of sleep everything got easier. First thing was to sort out our remaing vaccines which we got from the nearest hospital. Although they were eyeing up my lung, liver & other organs as if they could be fobbed off on the black market here. Sights we visited while here.

Central District - the buildings were funkin giganormous. amazing architecture & style of buildings, especially when mixed in with the green mountains & peaks surrounding them.

Peak Tram - the views from here were not to be missed. An amazing skyline & at the foot ot the peak, large hawks flying around the mountains & in & around the tops of the skyscrapers.

Zoological & Botanical Gardens - If we knew how steep the climb was going to be we may have thought twice about doing it, but for free it was interesting to see. Mostly monkeys, a few reptiles, a jaguar, an avary of parrots and loads of unbelievably, amazingly boring plants.

Star Ferry - Nice ferry ride across to Kowloon on war type ship.worth the views of Hong Kong city harbour.

Light Show - Really worth going to see at 8.00 in Kowloon. Must have taken alot of work & preparation to get to work. I found it fascinating. Dont think Siobhan thought the same. Half way through the show she mutters, "I don't really think its started yet","Can we go to mcDonalds now" and "are we staying for the whole thing?" It was only about 20 minutes long!

Temple Street night market - Broke in our haggling skills for the rest of our journey. This market has everything you dont need but want. Siobhan bought a watch for 2 squid. No pirate dvds for dad unfortunately. Pornos mainly over here, so there in the post now.

3 nights was definately enough time to see Hong Kong. Think we got most of the
major sights in. Very easy to get around here with the octopus card. Everything in English here so it eased us into our travels. People were nice but scared of touching anything & everything public that might be infected with a germ. A sneeze could make everyone hit the deck. Still, it was a pleasant place to stay & start our journey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb