In the beginning was Hong Kong...


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
January 19th 2007
Published: January 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hong Kong PeakHong Kong PeakHong Kong Peak

The amazing view from The Peak of HK at night
My travels start here.

After a very long, dull and sleep deprived flight (thanks to a fat Chinese man snoring behind me) we landed in Hong Kong. Norm had a bit of paper with him telling us whereabouts to go, unfortunately he had neglected to print off the map that went with it, but no matter, we got on the bus we were told to, got off where we were meant to, used a pay phone.....skip to the end, got to the guesthouse.

The 60 minute bus journey had taken us on to Hong Kong Island and to the east end, the Causeway Bay area. The roads are crazy; trams, buses, cars, taxis, trams, bikes and trams. We learnt very quickly that a ticking sound means wait, a quicker one means cross, and even faster means run or die! We arrived at about 4.30ish so had an avo of walking around town, having a browse. We stopped off to get some food and we ate "Shark Balls". I am very much hoping Sharks don't have "balls", but after eating them, I'm unsure (I guess they don't as they would hamper the streamlining).

In the evening we took the Peak Tram to the Peak; it basically does what it says on the tin. The climb was about at 60 degrees, ok when you're sat down, not ok when you are standing up, in an aisle, and on the way back down . The view from the top was amazing. Hong Kong island was completely lit up with many of the huge skyscrapers performing light displays. Kowloon Bay, over the water, was similarly ablaze, however with fewer giant buildings. Not surprised HSBC make so much money, they need millions just to cover the electricity bill! We also had a look down from the top, I'm glad bungee jumping is a good few months away....

After returning on the tram we got very lost. Then decided to find a map, this was a great idea. We headed for a beverage Lan Kwai Fong. It was unbelievable. It's a fairly small area but had a huge concentration of British bars, travellers (not the fairground kind, you know, small hands) and bankers...oh god the bankers = "Daah!". I have never before seen so many pin striped suits and savoy shirts in one road. The atmosphere was complementted with a group of very drunk Scottish lads attempting karaoke, they were awful, but very entertaining; it was decided "Wild Thing" was their best effort.

Anyway, must shoot off now. Have a few more days here then head to Bangkok.


Word,
Rob in Hong Kong


Best bit: The Peak
Worst bit: worrying about Shark Balls

Advertisement



19th January 2007

Actually HSBC aren't doing so well at the moment...surprising given the interest charges they get from me...

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 30; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb