Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » Wan Chai
August 18th 2009
Published: August 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Up, Up and away. One bumpy 9 hour flight, 4 new-release movies, and an undisclosed amount of alcohol later we finally arrived in destination ONE……HONG KONG. First thing noted: Caucasians are by far out numbered and the constant staring made us feel very uneasy. Second: It is fucking HOT…..try 30 degrees at 1930hrs! And thirdly: I wish I had known that mandarin was a language and not just a fruit.

Night one entailed an amazing bus trip to the Harbour View Hotel where the lights, people and cars were in abundance. Up on floor 16 of our lovely hotel we enter upon an amazing view but 2 single beds. This was quickly rectified and we were given a complimentary bottle of water for our trouble. A quick stroll around the block revealed we were right in the heart of the red light district, with cheap beer and boobs clearly in abundance. Needless to say we slept very well night one.

Day 2 up bright and early thanks to the old man next door whom funnily enough is still technologically impaired and wrongly updated his phone (thanks dad/dale). Free breaky went down a treat and thankfully the bacon tasted real (unlike Malaysia). The day was spent exploring Hong Kong Island by Bus, Subway and Boat. A man on our tour provided us with some action when he tried to pick a fight with Jen for sitting in “his” seat. The tour included Stanley markets, a ride in a Saipan in Aberdeen and a viewing of Victoria Peak which included a backwards tram ride down the hill….AHHHHHHH.

It was then onto Dim Sum/Yum Cha…..WOW…what an experience. After being given a plate of “Chocken” on arrival we were subsequently ignored for the next 25 mins as no one spoke English or even liked us. Communication breakdown ++++. After finally ordering some food (weird system) with a point and “That one” attitude the food finally came out all wrong. It appeared Di-sy and Jen Jen were stuck with alien embryos and shrimp sphincters….the men purely disgusted. With lots of laughs and death stares later it was straight to the pub to drown our sorrows (and the taste). To our amazement we just happened to stumble into a pub that provided free food and drinks. To begin with we thought it must have been some promotion and/or a responsible service of alcohol thing. But as a man in mourning soon advised us we had stumble into the middle of a wake….subsequently eating their food and drinking their drinks. Sheepishly we exited, making our way to the Temple Street Markets where we enjoyed a yummy “Vegetarian” dinner and cheap beers. Typically Jen brought a bag, a giraffe and some chop sticks with Andy’s wantings being shut down by the police only minutes before his arrival (Pirated DVD’S). Then using the subway system we made our way back to the hotel like seasoned pro’s.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.491s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb