Happy New year Hong Kong (Kung Hey Fat Choy)


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » Wan Chai
January 25th 2009
Published: January 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

OK I know that was a while ago and we are almost into February but we have been working hard.... on our tans since arriving in Western Australia!!

Anyway.....here are some pics of our time in HK....

We stayed at the J W Marriot on HK Island, thanks to the daughter of a friend and mates rates!!!! We had a great room, recently refurbished and facing the harbour....it had been a while since we had a bit of luxury and a very welcome experience it was too!!

This was the first time I had stayed at a J W Marriot and thought it was going to be an average American corporate hotel....wrong! It was excellent and I would definately recommend it if you are in Hong Kong.....the location was great; walking distance to many of the citys sights and with trams, cheap taxis, ferries and local buses getting around was very easy. The hotel was also attached to a large shopping mall with bars, restaurants, a cinema and an excellent food hall thrown in....all without having to go outside!!

We were prepared for cold wet weather....and after our arrival day of drizzle and mist things picked up and turned to fresh bright days, great for walking around all those sights.

Hong Kong is a shoppers paradise, there are many luxury shopping malls, an excellent market in Stanley Road and you can get anything and everything at the Kowloon markets....we of course did them all....we found a few special bargins...

Eating, as you all know is one of my favourite hobbies and past times....some of you may also know I worked, whilst at college in our local Chinese Restaurant. My very good friend Albert who owns an array of Chinese Restaurants and takeaways and is from Hong Kong, has regularly helped me to appreciate Chinese cuisine....so eat we did....Duck, sea food, dim sum, noodles, hairy crab, abalone, birds nest soup, chickens feet, sea slugs...ok.ok..we didnt eat the sea slugs or chickens feet!!!

We did have great food although I have to admit we did spend one evening in our room watching the light show with some red wine and cheese from the food hall!!!

So...New Years Eve.....Cocktails, dinner, champange, and then down to the harbour for the fireworks...there were thousands of people all with their cameras piosed ready for the big countdown and the finale of the fireworks over Hong Kong harbour.....what an anti-climax....the fireworks were better in Dartmouth; lasted about 7 minutes and then it was all over and everyone went home!!! Ohh well can't get it right every time!!

Outside of eating & shopping we did manage to experience....The Peak Tram ride which gave fantastic views over the city and other islands, the Zoo & Botanical gardens, a night Harbour cruise and light show, the Happy Valley race course and a couple of cocktails at the Mandarin Oriental....The Peninsula and the Four Seasons Hotels!!!

So, the hotel was excellent, the sights worth seeing, the food fabulous, even the weather was better than expected.

Hong Kong was our favourite city yet, we will definately go back!!!

We are having lots of fun and sun in Oz.....next blog out soon....

Have a great 2009!!!!

Mark & Sharron







Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

You get a great view from here!You get a great view from here!
You get a great view from here!

Cleaners on the roof of the Conference & Exhibition center!
What signageWhat signage
What signage

The Kowloon signage and planning department were not available for comment about the reported back handers
Chinese medicine shopChinese medicine shop
Chinese medicine shop

Spot the horns of young deer hanging up


25th January 2009

The Harts...
Hong Kong pics brought back memories - you actually got to see the view from the peak - we had mist for a couple days.. We are off ski in France early March, Spain in Late May... not as exciting as you guys but some of us have to work!!! Tez and I are busy here - I've got 3 feature shows this year, Tez has had some cards published too... Do let us know when you return The Harts xxx
26th January 2009

thank you
It was great to read your opinions of HK. I have been many times, work and play, last time just over 1 year ago. I love it with a passion. Thanks for the memories. I love the HK light show any day! The view from the Peak on a good day is amazing! I am now in NZ, enjoy Oz!!
28th January 2009

Ding Dong Hong Kong
Never been to Hong Kong. Missed out at a stay at The Manderine a few hundred years ago in my youth! (We wont go there!) But will now put it on my 'To Do' list. Going to China, Great Wall etc in April. Eager to here your views on OZ. I loved Perth and drove to Sydney!! Let us all know. ENJOY x

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0938s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb