I LOVE HONG KONG!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » Wan Chai
January 7th 2009
Published: January 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Temple of HeavenTemple of HeavenTemple of Heaven

Heidi and Zack at the Temple of Heaven
JUSTINO

On our last day in Beijing Heidi and Zack were able to get out of the hotel and see some sights. We went to the Temple of Heaven, an incredibly beautiful place, but what makes it even more interesting is all of the dancing, singing, music playing, and gambling going on in the gardens around the temple. As is typical in China there was a long list of rules (e.g. our hotel pool required that Zack and I with our buzzcuts wear shower caps) in front of the Temple. One of them was that you couldn't charge for dancing lessons.

We were all happy to leave the cold behind in Beijing and head to Hong Kong. We got an amazing room overlooking the Victoria Harbor where we had a front row view every night to the laser and light show. Hong Kong is a fascinating mix of the old and the new. The waterfront is glitzy luxurous skyscrapers while the back streets and alleys are crammed with tiny stores and markets with chinese women screaming out the prices.

On our second day in Hong Kong we took the ferry to Lantau Island and then took a wild taxi ride to the giant sitting buddha. The monastery at the foot of the buddha had a sign banning meat and alcohol--our kind of place. We had a delicious all-inclusive family meal in the monastery cafeteria where we were the only westerners. A rare treat for us to know that anything brought to the table we could eat. We took a scary gondola ride home...

On our third day in Hong Kong we went up to the top of Victoria Peak and took a spectacular walk around the mountain top with a better view of the city around each corner. I walked too much though and inflamed my already tortured knee, so on the last day Heidi went shopping on Kowloon Island while Zack and I lay around watching bad movies.

Today we are heading back to Mainland China (Guangzhou) and from there we will fly to Ho Chi Minh. I must say I love Hong Kong and would definitely go back for more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Big BuddhaThe Big Buddha
The Big Buddha

Yes, I know I've been wearing the same sweatshirt for a month...
On Top of the WorldOn Top of the World
On Top of the World

The View from Victoria Peak
The View from Our Hotel RoomThe View from Our Hotel Room
The View from Our Hotel Room

Goodbye Hong Kong :o(


8th January 2009

thanks for the pictures
Hi Justin, Thanks for sending the photos. Looks like a long walk to the Buddha! Glad you are having fun. Keep us posted on your travels. Love to Heidi and Zack. The photos are fun to see.. thanks laurie
8th January 2009

hey
i wish iwas w/ u that looks sooooo cool!!!! i hope to go there someday well bye sam xoxoxo
9th January 2009

As I sit in front of the computer screen for the seventh hour researching and writing about the ways to attack a wire tap... my hate for you grows! j/k I am super jealous of your adventures... maybe with teh economy getting worse and worse they will forget about the trillions of dollars I owe them and I will be able to afford an adventure! Here's to hoping.
9th January 2009

No MSG
Madison Square Garden? Hong Kong looks great. The Brits know good real estate. Safe travels, Jamie
9th January 2009

just admit it
you like Hong Kong only b/c it was a former British colony. ;)

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1008s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb