Beware of hands and Mind your head!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » Wan Chai
June 21st 2008
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Enjoying the sceneryEnjoying the sceneryEnjoying the scenery

on train to Beijing. It was a really interesting ride (24 hrs)


After an exhausting 14 hour flight we finally arrived at Hong Kong International airport and it took another 2 hours to get to our hotel. I was miserable, I got sick on the plane and felt horrible the last seven hours of the flight. Needless to say we went straight to sleep once we reached our hotel; it was perfect considering it was 10 pm HK time, so when we woke up the next morning we were ready to explore. We went to Hong Kong park on our first day and walked around Wan Chai and Admiralty ( 2 districts on HK island), it was hot but raining. At one point we walked into a building to use the restroom and when we exited (maybe four minutes later) it was pouring-- but still HOT! We must have walked around central HK for about 6 hours; it was great.

Later that night we decided to go out to an authentic dinner. We spent a half hour walking around near our hotel trying to find someplace to eat, but of course the really good places were all in Cantonese (later we found out that most places also have English
We're here!We're here!We're here!

Just arrived at Beijing west station, but we had no idea where to go from there.
menus, oh well- live and learn). We ended up settling on an overpriced, yet convenient, restaurant; the food was good but we felt we got ripped off. After dinner we went to our hotel lounge, which offers an amazing view of the skyline and each had a seven dollar bottle of beer before going to bed ( I guess we were mostly paying for the view).

Day two was spent walking around some more. We rode the tram to HK peak and spent most of the day up there. We had plans to visit Lantau Island but I was very tired by the time we got back into town and we just went back to our hotel. I think that the jet lag caught up to us because we slept for almost 12 hours.

Yesterday we checked out of our hotel and boarded a ferry across the harbour where we bought a ticket to Beijing. It was a 24 hour train ride but here we are, finally.

Hong Kong is a very exciting city, many different sorts of people, smells, and shops; If I had more room in my pack I would probably do a lot of
Jon and WalkerJon and WalkerJon and Walker

With the guy we met from Texas, trying to find the subway station.
shopping- it is very tempting. We are having a really great time so far. We are fortunate that many people in HK speak English (very different from Beijing!). Hopefully after Beijing we will get to see more of HK before departing to Singapore.

As for Beijing, well... we just got here. so I guess we'll wait and see.



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Exhausted!Exhausted!
Exhausted!

After what seemed like hours of walking in the heat, we are finally at our destination (well almost)
Our roomOur room
Our room

This is the room we are staying in in Beijing, it is at the Red Lantern hostel. It is very comfortable with a much needed a/c =)
First day in BeijingFirst day in Beijing
First day in Beijing

The architecture is beautiful. We are really blown away.
Photo 2Photo 2
Photo 2

Walking aorund the Hutongs
Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

Everyone seems to ride bikes here.
Enjoying the dayEnjoying the day
Enjoying the day

Some men playing dominoes in the park.
Taxi anyone?Taxi anyone?
Taxi anyone?

This is one of the ways people get around.
Random DoorwayRandom Doorway
Random Doorway

Wow! We still can't believe we are really here.
The Forbidden City The Forbidden City
The Forbidden City

View from the top of Jingshan Park.
The Locust TreeThe Locust Tree
The Locust Tree

Spot where the last Ming emperor, Chong Zhen, hung himself as rebels swarmed the city walls.


30th June 2008

Being ripped off is just part of the expereince ;)
Great pics, Jon looks very GQ in the first one :P I know I shouldn't encourage you but remember you can always mail things to my place for safe keeping until you get back. Don't let pack space hold ya back, just yer budget ;)

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb