Protect from Blazing sun with Quality Beach Umbrellas


Advertisement
Georgia's flag
Asia » Georgia » Eastern Georgia » Gudauri
April 30th 2017
Published: April 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

One of the ways to protect ourselves from the sun when going to the beach or spending time in the garden or the terrace is to hide under the beach umbrellas. But are they really effective or how much sun protection offer us and what should we keep in mind when we buy such an umbrella?

Contrary to expectations, sun umbrellas have preceded those against the rain umbrellas, even though today's latter use is the most common. In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, sun umbrellas were a mandatory accessory for women when exposed to the sun, and in the next century solar protection products and UV protective clothing would take their place. Even today, hand-held umbrellas continue to be an accessory for women in Asia and the Middle East.

Beach umbrellas and sun protection.

Although shadowing is one of the methods of preventing sunburn and other harmful effects of UV rays (melanoma, skin aging, cataracts, DNA damage), especially between the hours of 10.00 and 16.00, the shadow of the umbrella is not enough because UVB rays (considered the most dangerous) may indirectly reach the skin, being reflected by sand, asphalt or water.

The materials from which beach umbrellas are made have an SPF (sun protection factor) that can range between 3 and 106 and an UPF (ultraviolet light protection factor) of up to 50. However, regardless of the protection of the umbrella by those two factors, indirect ultraviolets remain related to the amount of which is proportional to the visible surface under the umbrella.

A study made by specialists showed that the materials, from which beach umbrellas are made, can absorb most direct sunlight, but more than 30%!o(MISSING)f the indirect sunlight still reach the skin through the unprotected parts of the umbrella. The same researchers compared the protective effect offered by the sun umbrella compared to the protection of a cream with SPF 100 on the skin. The 81 participants were distributed in two groups, each group using one of the two methods of protection for 3 hours and half to sun exposure, on a beach, in August. The general conclusion was that the beach umbrella does not offer total protection against UV rays and the optimal protection is the use of the beach and the application of products with sun protection factor.

White umbrella, black or colored?

Information from studies about colour conclude that the beach umbrella colour is relatively small and contradictory. Several years ago a study was published comparing the ultraviolet absorption capacity of the same material painted in red, blue and yellow shades. The highest absorption capacity of the UV rays has the intensive colour of blue, and the smallest of all – the yellow.

Choosing a sun umbrella

Color is just one of the features that can make the difference between beach umbrellas. Other aspects that we should consider when buying one are:

- Opt for umbrellas made of sunscreen materials to block ultraviolet radiation (with a factor of 30 minimum).

- Choose an umbrella whose hat is generous; the larger the diameter, the better the coverage will be.

- Avoid the transparent umbrellas because they do not shade at all.

Last but not least, the protection against ultraviolet rays should not be left only on sunshades or beach umbrellas but should be supplemented with the application of products with a protective factor on the skin.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb