Back in China :)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
March 1st 2006
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Artisans StreetArtisans StreetArtisans Street

A great place to pick up a few souvenirs, just inside the city after entering from The South Gate
Geo: 33.9184, 108.719

I am so happy to be back! I'm straight back into China mode and into the swing of things. I was a bit afraid I wouldn't like China as much this time but definitely not the case. Great to be able to put nightmares of Chinese economics and impossible exams behind me and get back to what I love the most - being in this amazing country itself and the everyday randomness and excitement that comes with it. Once again there is never a dull moment, just the way I like it! Plus, I have to admit, it's nice to feel like a beautiful celebrity again!

So, has China changed since 'the good old days' in Tianjin? Well, Tianjin is almost unrecognisable. However, the most important things are still there - a Scott and Jesse and the loveable authentic Tianjin atmosphere that makes it home. It was a relief to know that my Tianjin still 'feels' the same even if it looks different. There are lots more cars on the roads (far too many), lots more luxury appartment blocks and high rised buildings. They're still on a mission to make everything look green and shiny (full marks for trying!) As
Chinese manChinese manChinese man

One of the many wonderful faces you can bump into when walking to The Temple Of The 8 Immortals.
it's the year of the dog, everybody has dogs and it's a real doggy party after 7pm when the security guards have gone home and aren't checking the dog licenses! The neon lights have become even more. Xi'an in particular is one big illumination at night. The Chinese are still going crazy over their brand new and shiny ancient culture streets with their Las Vegas style fountains, lasers and performances. There is continious building work going on everywhere but I do have a theory that everything has a 2009 sell by date. We'll see!

Xi'an is a fantastic city. It has the perfect balance of culture and modern city. Much to my pleasure there is a very impressive nightlife to be had 😊 Nights are spend at the YHA, the bar street where my friend Neo sings and finishes at 1 Plus 1, probably the most crowded dance floor in the world!! All part of the job!!

Famous sights in the centre are The Bell Tower, the Muslim Quarter, The Great Mosque and The Drum Tower. My favourite is The Temple of The 8 Immortals which makes a nice peaceful change and is situated among some amazing 'real China' streets. Xi'an has plenty of sights to see and Shaanxi province is stunning in places. A wonderful location. Plenty to keep the volunteers and myself occupied.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The Bell Tower at NightThe Bell Tower at Night
The Bell Tower at Night

This is the view from our favourite YHA bar.
The South GateThe South Gate
The South Gate

The most impressive gate into the ancient city. If you have a thing for 'the Konga' come here at night for the Chinese version!
Walking The WallWalking The Wall
Walking The Wall

I wouldn't say it's the most stunning of views walking along Xi'an's ancient city wall but definitely atmospheric. Hiring out a bike is probably more effective.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb